Interesting Gear Developments Thread

VaticanShotglass wrote:Alright. If it works as a great fuzz and a great overdrive, then sure, that's easily worth the price seeing as it looks like a tank. That's the price of two awesome dirt pedal, easily. Bummer if only one side is awesome.In Helms Alee, Ben uses a Fulldrive II (fancy tubescreamer) and an Ibanez Wau Fuzz (the 6 transistor Shin Ei Superfuzz circuit). The Verellen Big Spider is basically the Fuzz in the Wau Fuzz circuit. My guess is that this pedal is going to be the these two circuits; fancy TS and Superfuzz.

Your right it is OD before fuzz which is how a lot of people did it back in the day so when you turned on your fuzz you used the OD as a crazy switch most people use it after now to tune the fuzz.There are only 100 to be made so it is a collector item, I can put it in a bell jar in my personal museum / archive / sanctum Santorum / fortress of solitude, display area under a bell jar next to my grundge nikes!

benadrian wrote:VaticanShotglass wrote:Alright. If it works as a great fuzz and a great overdrive, then sure, that's easily worth the price seeing as it looks like a tank. That's the price of two awesome dirt pedal, easily. Bummer if only one side is awesome.In Helms Alee, Ben uses a Fulldrive II (fancy tubescreamer) and an Ibanez Wau Fuzz (the 6 transistor Shin Ei Superfuzz circuit). The Verellen Big Spider is basically the Fuzz in the Wau Fuzz circuit. My guess is that this pedal is going to be the these two circuits; fancy TS and Superfuzz.The "scoop" switch is a SuperFuzz trademark feature. This one added 4 knobs Fuzz, Volume, Treble and Bass controls which seem like good tweaks. The original just has 2 knobs the mysteriously labeled "balance and expander" which I think are volume and fuzz. In the original SuperFuzz the scoop is a switch (which is also your only tone control putting in a mid hump or flat) most people will just use one position, mid hump is the one most folks I know use as the octave tone seems to work in that mode. I am sure some folks use the other if they want a less brutal fuzz though I find the Shin e Companion circuit more manageable if you want a lighter fuzz.. Probably with the added tone controls and foot switching working together the two modes will be more used and useful togeather. Some mods of these put the interior pot that sets the octave sensitivity on the top of the box which they don't do here but I am not sure if that is all that useful. The scoop with the octave is kind of the SuperFuzz trademark sound. I am sure with a tone control on the boost in front it to give it a kick, it probably can go into a lot of great sonic territory.

Big John wrote:The "scoop" switch is a SuperFuzz trademark feature. This one added 4 knobs Fuzz, Volume, Treble and Bass controls which seem like good tweaks. The original just has 2 knobs the mysteriously labeled "balance and expander" which I think are volume and fuzz. Just like a Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz if there are bass and treble knobs.Big John wrote:The scoop with the octave is kind of the SuperFuzz trademark sound. I am sure with a tone control on the boost in front it to give it a kick, it probably can go into a lot of great sonic territory.For a sound reference for those that haven't had a Super Fuzz type pedal:scooped mids (V) position = Beastie Boys bass fuzz (Fuzz II on the FZ-2)flat mids position = Touch Me I'm Sick intro (Fuzz I on the FZ-2)I'm much more into the latter because I love mids. Though I do tend to dial a little low end back in when I use the Hyper Fuzz.

Tommy wrote:Big John wrote:The "scoop" switch is a SuperFuzz trademark feature. This one added 4 knobs Fuzz, Volume, Treble and Bass controls which seem like good tweaks. The original just has 2 knobs the mysteriously labeled "balance and expander" which I think are volume and fuzz. Just like a Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz if there are bass and treble knobs.Big John wrote:The scoop with the octave is kind of the SuperFuzz trademark sound. I am sure with a tone control on the boost in front it to give it a kick, it probably can go into a lot of great sonic territory.For a sound reference for those that haven't had a Super Fuzz type pedal:scooped mids (V) position = Beastie Boys bass fuzz (Fuzz II on the FZ-2)flat mids position = Touch Me I'm Sick intro (Fuzz I on the FZ-2)I'm much more into the latter because I love mids. Though I do tend to dial a little low end back in when I use the Hyper Fuzz.The two knob tone thing also is on the FZ-2 clone of the Boss Behringer does called the "Super Fuzz". To my ears the Boss sounds very similar to a super fuzz although I don't know the specifics.When you mention Beastie Boys bass fuzz, I know Adam Y used the super fuzz a lot but if you are looking for a specific song I would suggest "Sabotage". I also think maybe the bass player Chris Squire from Yes used one?I am sure a balls superfuzz would be a thing of glory.

Big John wrote:Tommy wrote:Big John wrote:The "scoop" switch is a SuperFuzz trademark feature. This one added 4 knobs Fuzz, Volume, Treble and Bass controls which seem like good tweaks. The original just has 2 knobs the mysteriously labeled "balance and expander" which I think are volume and fuzz. Just like a Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz if there are bass and treble knobs.Big John wrote:The scoop with the octave is kind of the SuperFuzz trademark sound. I am sure with a tone control on the boost in front it to give it a kick, it probably can go into a lot of great sonic territory.For a sound reference for those that haven't had a Super Fuzz type pedal:scooped mids (V) position = Beastie Boys bass fuzz (Fuzz II on the FZ-2)flat mids position = Touch Me I'm Sick intro (Fuzz I on the FZ-2)I'm much more into the latter because I love mids. Though I do tend to dial a little low end back in when I use the Hyper Fuzz.The two knob tone thing also is on the FZ-2 clone of the Boss Behringer does called the "Super Fuzz". To my ears the Boss sounds very similar to a super fuzz although I don't know the specifics.When you mention Beastie Boys bass fuzz, I know Adam Y used the super fuzz a lot but if you are looking for a specific song I would suggest "Sabotage". I also think maybe the bass player Chris Squire from Yes used one?I am sure a balls superfuzz would be a thing of glory.While I wouldn't doubt it's possible, it seems like I've seen the Brassmaster mentioned a couple of times in "Nerdy..." threads where they are going all "Eddie used a Variac!" about Squire's tone.