Re: Small questions that don't fit anywhere

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:05 pm
four_oclocker_2.2 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:59 pm Fender Bassman amplifiers (heads, not combos.)

What's the deal? Seems like folks like these, I've never used one, but I'm curious. Anyone have a good rundown (or resource) on the difference between the different models/variations?
They're great amps. Most of them are kinda like the basic, normal-channel version of the 60's/70s Fender preamps, so i'd say if you dont like the sounds of the normal channel on a Twin or a Super, the Bassman might not be for you. A lot of people tend to dig them with English speakers to enforce the midrange a bit more.
Had both (Twin and a B50) and I would never call them similar in their tone. A TR is more glassy sounding, more present and cleaner in expression. A B50 is a clean amp with a lot of balls, does not break up so easily and takes any OD/DS pedal you put in front of them, I would not say so for a TR.
Last edited by Lu Zwei on Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing major here. Just a regular EU cock. I pull it out and there is beans all over my penis. Bean shells all over my penis...

four_oclocker_2.2 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:59 pm Fender Bassman amplifiers (heads, not combos.)

What's the deal? Seems like folks like these, I've never used one, but I'm curious. Anyone have a good rundown (or resource) on the difference between the different models/variations?
This a great place to start: https://fenderguru.com/amps/bassman/
Nothing major here. Just a regular EU cock. I pull it out and there is beans all over my penis. Bean shells all over my penis...

I have a 1964 bassman that I bought in Queens for $400 - I think overall it's my favorite circuit. Per FM Dr. Balls, I prefer it with British mid forward speakers - with the EQ, it does something good. There's a musicality to the feedback through this circuit that is just fantastic. It was in my mother in law's basement and I'm currently looking to ship it and four other heads from Kitchener-Waterloo Canada to San Diego yes I know I can rebuy them.

I have a 1971 (I think) Bassman Export. The Export means it has a power transformer that's switchable for different Mains voltages. I got it on ebay fivever ago for like $300 with a 2x15 cab with the square magnet CTS speakers. I probably paid a few hundred for shipping, but it was worth it. It's got a BIG sound, especially with that cab. I've re-capped it and done the blackface mod. It's a great amp. If you can find a deal on one, go for it. Some of the later models are frowned upon by fender tone snobs, but honestly, it's not hard to tweak any of them to match the schematic of the one you want.

andyman wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:17 am
I always get way suspicious when someone's just bought something then sells it within months.
Also it needs a service.
Oh yeah, he's asking a bit too much for it. It was bought at an auction as well, that would raise some questions too. I presume it would say ebay or reverb if otherwise.
andyman wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:17 am In any case, opinions online seem to imply the 50s are better at gritty guitar breakup than the other bassmans.
A B100 is mainly a bass amp, that bish will not break up under any reasonable volume. B70 breaks up differently than a 50 one, and not in a good way as that amp is biased super hot in regards to a 50 one. I never liked it when I tried it.

I will never get over that fact that I sold my '68 Export as I thought I would never play in a loud band again...

I have a black panel ab165 and it sounds great. I think it's had some small mods because it has a bunch of gain but I don't recall much inside that looks different (been a while since I looked though). It's not like soldano gain, but more like JMP gain. You're pretty much at Malcolm Young at 4-5, then it just gets squishier after that and not really louder. Not the most versatile amp and not a "takes pedals well" deal. Pretty much a plug straight in deal, but every time I think I should get a Marshall, I'm like, yeah I have that thing already.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com