Re: Little Details from Your Day

seby wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 7:58 am
iembalm wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:10 pm I am in line to see Mark Ribot and Mary Halvorson. Can't think of anywhere I'd rather be right now.
Holy shit how was the gig???
Tremendous. Two sets, about an hour and fifteen minutes each (with a two-song encore for the late show). They all had sheets of music in front of them, but I suspect it was in the flavor of the Kind of Blue sessions, mainly just a launching pad. I'd not seen Mary Halvorson live and she was great and quite a bit more effects/loop-driven than I would have anticipated, but she got quite a few moments to just let 'er rip. Ribot was running things with lots of hand gestures and eye contact. Rhythm section, neither of whom I knew, were great, the drummer in particular. Did a solo in the first set with brushes, and with sticks for the same tune's solo in the second. Bassist used a bow quite a bit. Ribot played a hollowbody throughout, and had what looked like an electric Fender of some sort sitting behind him that I was hoping he would pick up, but didn't. He came through Portland last year with Ceramic Dog, and I had to give my ticket away because of a death in the family. This gig more than made up for it.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."

iembalm wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:49 am
iembalm wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:10 pm I am in line to see Mark Ribot and Mary Halvorson. Can't think of anywhere I'd rather be right now.
Tremendous. Two sets, about an hour and fifteen minutes each (with a two-song encore for the late show). They all had sheets of music in front of them, but I suspect it was in the flavor of the Kind of Blue sessions, mainly just a launching pad. I'd not seen Mary Halvorson live and she was great and quite a bit more effects/loop-driven than I would have anticipated, but she got quite a few moments to just let 'er rip. Ribot was running things with lots of hand gestures and eye contact. Rhythm section, neither of whom I knew, were great, the drummer in particular. Did a solo in the first set with brushes, and with sticks for the same tune's solo in the second. Bassist used a bow quite a bit. Ribot played a hollowbody throughout, and had what looked like an electric Fender of some sort sitting behind him that I was hoping he would pick up, but didn't. He came through Portland last year with Ceramic Dog, and I had to give my ticket away because of a death in the family. This gig more than made up for it.
Looks like Chad Taylor on drums? He's brilliant.

jimmy spako wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:16 am

Looks like him. I guess he's been working with Ribot since the Spiritual Unity band, which is fantastic but never came out to the PNW as far as I know. Could be wrong. Bassist was Hillard Greene.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."

iembalm wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 12:08 pm
jimmy spako wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:16 am

Looks like him. I guess he's been working with Ribot since the Spiritual Unity band, which is fantastic but never came out to the PNW as far as I know. Could be wrong. Bassist was Hillard Greene.
Super!!!
"lol, listen to op 'music' and you'll understand"....

https://sebastiansequoiah-grayson.bandcamp.com/
https://oblier.bandcamp.com/releases
https://youtube.com/user/sebbityseb