Re: A Few New Projects

Happy to advise on setup parameters- I do about 8-10 fender setups /week, so it kinda becomes second nature.

On the short 24" scale I think 11's are the best bet.

- I paid $9 for a set of brass tele saddles- very happy w/ that switch. Look up the 'bubba mod'

For those scratches, I typically do something like #600, #1000, #0000 steel wool.

c jury wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:43 am Happy to advise on setup parameters- I do about 8-10 fender setups /week, so it kinda becomes second nature.

On the short 24" scale I think 11's are the best bet.

- I paid $9 for a set of brass tele saddles- very happy w/ that switch. Look up the 'bubba mod'

For those scratches, I typically do something like #600, #1000, #0000 steel wool.
Oh big thanks. Bubba mod is very likely in the works. Haven’t touched it all week because I finally caught the big C. Haven’t felt like doing anything for five days now.

Garth wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:22 am this brings up a second question for you Chris: what gauge do you recommend for short scale bass?

Like a The Duke?

That you may have even previously owned?
That Duke is weird for strings. I got a set of D'addario Super light 95-40 that seemed to not stress it out too much.

Otherwise I like standard 105-45 on a short scale. I have weak guitar-player fingers, so the lighter tension is fine by me. I am spoiled working in a shop and having the chance to try things out. GHS makes a short scale set with the reduced diameter at the end in the correct spot for 30" scale- makes restringing easier.

c jury wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:57 am
Garth wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:22 am this brings up a second question for you Chris: what gauge do you recommend for short scale bass?

Like a The Duke?

That Duke is weird for strings. I got a set of D'addario Super light 95-40 that seemed to not stress it out too much.

Otherwise I like standard 105-45 on a short scale. I have weak guitar-player fingers, so the lighter tension is fine by me. I am spoiled working in a shop and having the chance to try things out. GHS makes a short scale set with the reduced diameter at the end in the correct spot for 30" scale- makes restringing easier.
ufff. That's not the answer I was hoping for, but I get it. Those necks just aren't super strong - apparently you see this c-curve evil grin on the neck even more on the 8-string basses. Was hoping to go to 105 on the bottom at the very least as there are occasions where drop d is the thing...and it sounds like dooky-flops w/ a 95 on there. I might just get a single string and see how it goes, IDK.

Garth wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:26 pm
c jury wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:57 am

Like a The Duke?

ufff. That's not the answer I was hoping for, but I get it. Those necks just aren't super strong - apparently you see this c-curve evil grin on the neck even more on the 8-string basses. Was hoping to go to 105 on the bottom at the very least as there are occasions where drop d is the thing...and it sounds like dooky-flops w/ a 95 on there. I might just get a single string and see how it goes, IDK.
I actually think I need to throw a slightly larger E string on my Bean for going down to drop D; with the slightly smaller scale (33.25" like a 4003), the 105 gets a little too floppy when played like how I play (a blind rhino).
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

Well, ran into an issue as I was doing final setup on bass #6. String spacing was way too wide on the fender bridge. So, with no readily available solution I had to machine a new baseplate with spacing for 4 saddles from a 5 string bridge, 50mm total, as opposed to 58mm on the fender.
I'll go into the shop tomorrow to finalize the setup, may experiment with some other saddle options.

It is a Xmas miracle. After a very difficult birth, #6 is complete. Note the 11k rail humbucker, which sounds so fucking good...just huge. Set up for C# standard.
Work on #7 has started - a DC 25.5" gluing up the body as we speak, and will start on shaping the billet today.