Warning signs of really bad bands

Marsupialized wrote:It kinda says something about the mindset of the people here that the 'signs of a shitty band' thread is running wild, people just can't come up with enough reasons why some band would be shitty yet the 'signs of an awesome band' thread died instantly.

I wouldn't say mindset, at all. The current state of music is more like it. Interesting and innovative bands are few and far between. Maybe I'm being a bleeding heart canuck, but I (almost) never dismiss a band until after I hear at least one song. The only thing, besides the previously mentioned t-shirt, is an eccessively long setup time.
Don't get chumpatized!

ginandtacos.com wrote:2. Banners. Bands playing in front of a large banner bearing their name and/or "logo" cannot possibly be good. This is science.

This just reminded me of the time that Kevin (Electrical Guitar Co), Rich (Bear Claw) and I all loaded the Jesus Lizard stage backdrop into the backseat of Rich's car after Kevin discovered it while rummaging through the under-the-stairs area of my practice space. Holy shit was that thing heavy and unweildly, even for three guys.

So yeah, your science is kinda like, um, no. Maybe a good generalization, I'd say. But certainly not a "cannot possibly be good" type rule.
"The bastards have landed"

www.myspace.com/thechromerobes - now has a couple songs from the new album

Very few of these are good rules.

Banners? Double bass drums? China cymbals? Mesa Boogie and Hartke Systems gear? Female bass players? Duct tape? These are reasons to expect a band to suck?

There are 14 pages of this crap!

Do we really need any more reasons to hate a band before we even hear a single note of their music?

Fuck that.

I think this whole thread kinda sucks. You all sound like a bunch of grumpy old farts who have no business even going out to rock shows. Just stay home and watch Lawrence Welk reruns on TV Land.

Colonel Panic wrote:Very few of these are good rules.

Banners? Double bass drums? China cymbals? Mesa Boogie and Hartke Systems gear? Female bass players? Duct tape? These are reasons to expect a band to suck?

There are 14 pages of this crap!

Do we really need any more reasons to hate a band before we even hear a single note of their music?

Fuck that.

I think this whole thread kinda sucks. You all sound like a bunch of grumpy old farts who have no business even going out to rock shows. Just stay home and watch Lawrence Welk reruns on TV Land.

agree totally. people different than me often make good music. even while wearing girl jeans.

HOWEVER, my one infallible sign: band members have their own band logo decal on their car's rear windshield (not talking about tour vans).

Marsupialized wrote:It kinda says something about the mindset of the people here that the 'signs of a shitty band' thread is running wild, people just can't come up with enough reasons why some band would be shitty yet the 'signs of an awesome band' thread died instantly.

Wait!

How will we know which one is the real Marsupialized?!
I walk these streets, a loaded six-string on my back.

Josef K wrote:

This one is more fun.

Agreed. Being a dick is more fun. Note the "Good Tattoos" thread, which was about as successful as OK Soda.
The band: http://www.tremendousfucking.com
The blog: http://www.ginandtacos.com