Re: RIP v2 - still no cure for death

penningtron wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:39 am RIP one time FM Chris Garges (cgarges, who's post go back to the Archived era of the forum). Also a big Tape Op contributor, I appreciated his professional advice and experience at a time when "just put a sm-57 on it" was accepted advice for recording enthusiasts. Fuck cancer.
Oh shit. It was cancer. I saw the sad news over on the tapeop board. A knowledgeable and generous dude. Terrible.

penningtron wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:39 am RIP one time FM Chris Garges (cgarges, who's post go back to the Archived era of the forum). Also a big Tape Op contributor, I appreciated his professional advice and experience at a time when "just put a sm-57 on it" was accepted advice for recording enthusiasts. Fuck cancer.
Oh no! I vaguely remember him from the old forum. Fuck cancer, and here's to eternal life in the archives.

I met Chris at Electrical in 2006 when I was an intern. He was visiting to mix a record.

Chris came to St. Louis in 2019 to attend a conference at the university I teach at, we were able to re-connect and reminisce. What a guy. So kind, knowledgable, and generous with his expertise.

It's unjust.

HeavenIsInYrBeard wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:56 am
AdamN wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:30 pm godfuckingdamnit. way too young.
I don't know if anyone's read his memoir "Sing Backwards and Weep", but I did and came to the conclusion it was amazing he even made it to 57. Very well written book which pulls no punches. R.I.P.
Could not put it down. Through all the darkness, he was a funny a hell. His beef with Liam Gallagher had me rolling on the floor. Even if there was some embellishment, it was a great story. R.I.P. Mark
New Shit:
https://lamekites.bandcamp.com/album/less-one
Discogs:
https://www.discogs.com/seller/ryanzepaltas/profile

Terrible news I hadn't heard. I met Chris a buncha years ago and had many discussions with him on line and bought and sold gear to each other. Totally stand up dude. Condolences to those that knew him better than I...

penningtron wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:24 am Ron Miles, who's name you probably wouldn't know unless you lived in Denver and paid any attention to jazz, or may recall from his Rational Funk cameos. I mostly knew of him thru a friend, and in his active performing days (he was more of a teacher later on) collaborated with everyone from high brow jazz types, to John Zorn and Eye of the Boredoms. 58 is way too young..
Aw that sucks, I just know him from "Runnin' and Gunnin" but yeah that's way too young.

Chud Fusk wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:03 pm
penningtron wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:24 am Ron Miles, who's name you probably wouldn't know unless you lived in Denver and paid any attention to jazz, or may recall from his Rational Funk cameos. I mostly knew of him thru a friend, and in his active performing days (he was more of a teacher later on) collaborated with everyone from high brow jazz types, to John Zorn and Eye of the Boredoms. 58 is way too young..
Aw that sucks, I just know him from "Runnin' and Gunnin" but yeah that's way too young.
I was in a session yesterday with a bunch of his former students who were singing his praises.
The term "visionary ripper" came up.
I love you.