Re: Personal memories from the old forum

Oh, you dudes are dragging up some memories. What about the confessions thread, where itchy mcgoo (?) said she sometimes ate salad with her fingers and 'sup was supposedly so disgusted he (quite unfairly) just laid into her. One guy confessed he wiped his ass with a sock and threw it on the roof, but 'sup insisted itchy was the worst one.

Who in God’s name was that super duper angry kid from Queensland? His posts would descend into “Fuck you!” pretty much inevitably. I think that everyone just thought that he was going through a teenage edgelord phase until it became obvious that his mind was unravelling, then he disappeared. I hope that he is hanging in there wherever he is now.
"lol, listen to op 'music' and you'll understand"....

https://sebastiansequoiah-grayson.bandcamp.com/
https://oblier.bandcamp.com/releases
https://youtube.com/user/sebbityseb

I I’ve returned many times to this post by Angus Jung on The Who:
Angus Jung wrote: In their prime, they pulled off a neat trick. By having basically a "lead rhythm section" (Entwistle is essentially soloing throughout a lot of their songs) and assigning the guitar with the primary job of holding down the rhythm, they inverted the whole rock band process! And it sounded great! I'm still not sure how they did it.

I'd like to say something good about anything they did post-Moon, but "It's Hard."

You hear a lot of Beatles-influenced bands and Stones-influenced bands, but very few Who-influenced bands. They aren't that easy to copy. "Venus" by Shocking Blue, that gtr playing is a blantant "Tommy" era Townshend rip. Some songs on Deerhoof's "Reveille" are incredible Who rips.

Roger Daltrey kind of sucks, sort of like Robert Plant kind of sucks.

They were my first favorite rock band. I was obsessed w/them for many yrs. I still almost want to vote CRAP though.

N/C
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!

sparky wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:16 am ...post by Angus Jung...
A. Jung was unusually gifted at communicating his thoughts about music and culture. I learned a lot from him when I started lurking on this board as an adolescent; both from his sheer breadth of knowledge, but also from how he was able to express himself and his personality.

I hope very much that he is able to somehow use his talents, and that he is happy.

brephophagist wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:11 pm the rank epithets ("King Shit of Fuck Mountain", etc) and the process of determining them
When I first saw this forum in like 2012 I spent a good 20 minutes laughing like a fool at these, e.g. "World's Ideal Leader With Versatile Talents", etc, I thought using Kim Jong Il's self-given titles was the absolute funniest thing a forum could do to rank its users. Does anyone know the story of how this started?

M.H wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:29 am
sparky wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:16 am ...post by Angus Jung...
A. Jung was unusually gifted at communicating his thoughts about music and culture. I learned a lot from him when I started lurking on this board as an adolescent; both from his sheer breadth of knowledge, but also from how he was able to express himself and his personality.

I hope very much that he is able to somehow use his talents, and that he is happy.
He definitely is; he just did an album with Mike Watt.
Escape Rope / Black Mesa / Inflatable Sex Babies

Yes: I met AJ for the first time IRL when he played a fab gig here a couple of months back, and he was on super form and really lovely and warm. He has a bunch of records up on Bandcamp that I’m very fond of, this being his latest. His former band Oaxacan were outstanding, and you can grab some of their work here.
penningtron wrote: Biznono's (Matt Kadane) The Who post was also good, correctly pointing out that they are basically impossible to cover convincingly.
Yes! A favourite early poster, that Biznono.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!

seby wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:39 am Who in God’s name was that super duper angry kid from Queensland? His posts would descend into “Fuck you!” pretty much inevitably. I think that everyone just thought that he was going through a teenage edgelord phase until it became obvious that his mind was unravelling, then he disappeared. I hope that he is hanging in there wherever he is now.
That might have been Mama Clortho?

Leaked Shellac record that turned out to not be Shellac but the guy who swore his band didn't sound like Shellac also produced some angrypants posting.

Somewhere I still have the full text of the Dodge Dart Demon swap for the SVT that isn't for sale thread. All of the funniest bits of that were FM Vockins. I bet I can find it.
tbone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 pm I imagine at some point as a practicality we will all start assuming that this is probably the last thing we gotta mail to some asshole.