Re: What are you listening to right now?

Third time in a row.

Rita Coolidge's version affected me deeply as a young child. I thought it was one of the most beautiful melodies I ever heard. Didn't even realize it was a Boz Scaggs original until earlier this century, and I'm just now finding out the Walker Brothers had their own version. What a voice, and the string arrangement in the outro sends me.

If I were to make a list of my 100 favorite songs I'd have to do some serious soul-searching about which version to submit. It would be Rita's, but I'd have a ball arguing with myself.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

rsmurphy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:10 pm

Third time in a row.

Rita Coolidge's version affected me deeply as a young child. I thought it was one of the most beautiful melodies I ever heard. Didn't even realize it was a Boz Scaggs original until earlier this century, and I'm just now finding out the Walker Brothers had their own version. What a voice, and the string arrangement in the outro sends me.

If I were to make a list of my 100 favorite songs I'd have to do some serious soul-searching about which version to submit. It would be Rita's, but I'd have a ball arguing with myself.
Later Walker Brothers shit is so weird. It's so over the top cheesy that it takes on a kind of campy, almost Lynchian feel. I find Andy Williams the same way. It's so interesting to think about how this is years after Scott 4. What a crazy artistic contrast.

Apologies (and props) if this moves you at face value/ in earnest. I find a heightened kind of ironic tension that sucks me in.

losthighway wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:33 pm Apologies (and props) if this moves you at face value/ in earnest. I find a heightened kind of ironic tension that sucks me in.
Of course it moves me in earnest! That is one gorgeous melody, why wouldn't it move me? I spent at least an hour searching for all cover versions of "We're All Alone" since I shared the OP - Franki Valli's cover was nice; Johnny Mathis's version is outstanding; I was super psyched to hear the Three Degree's take on it, and although their voices were heavenly (especially on the backing vocals for "let it out") the instrumentation and production fell flat. The version that really flipped my lid was from Bruce Murray, brother to Anne. I didn't know she had a musical brother, but it makes sense that it would run in the family. Regardless, the French horn arrangement in his cover is just stunning; a clarion call for love. In fact, I got so stuck on the French horn that I got distracted and went looking for more French horn and finally, for once and all, realized the horn played during the intro to "Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time" by the Delfonics was a French horn and not a flugelhorn or euphonium as it's always confused me in the past. Is there any brass instrument sound as lovely and haunting as any of the above? I think not.

I would insist a version be played during my first dance; maybe the Johnny Mathis one.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell