WTF is a Dumbleator and why is it 15k?

It's still the same amount of money for an instrument that's more or less making music. The amp may have more hours of work, more thought and definitely more expensive materials in it. These old violins may have been the Fenders of their day, I don't know.

Maybe in the future an old Fender amp or guitar will be worth an equivalent amount in space-euros.

And of course, I'll stick with all my under $800 amps.

zom-zom wrote:It's still the same amount of money for an instrument that's more or less making music. The amp may have more hours of work, more thought and definitely more expensive materials in it. These old violins may have been the Fenders of their day, I don't know.

Maybe in the future an old Fender amp or guitar will be worth an equivalent amount in space-euros.

And of course, I'll stick with all my under $800 amps.

One is the amount for an instrument you make music with. The second instrument is actually amplifying your music.
Basically, you'd have the same tone, more or less, not matter what amp you play.
a 1776 violin is made out of old wood which you can't get anywhere. I mean, those violins are one of a kind. the dumble amps aren't one of a kind.
I would pay 15000$ for a one of a kind instrument and not pseudo one of a kind amplifier.

zom-zom wrote:I know several professional classical musicians who have paid well into the tens of thousands of dollars for violins, violas, cellos and again thousands for bows.

And they don't really make much money. I'm sure someone like Carlos Santana can afford a $15,000.00 amp, and if he thinks it's his "sound" then more power to the Dumbles of the world. Everybody's happy, I guess.

One time a while ago I thought my saxophone was expensive until I met a violinist who told me her $20,000 violin was a student model.

harps are expensive too.

BadComrade wrote:
eliya wrote:You'd have the same tone, more or less, not matter what amp you play.

An amp can change the sound of an instrument quite a bit.

if you're a good player, your sound will stay the same.

eliya wrote:a 1776 violin is made out of old wood which you can't get anywhere.

You can buy wood that's been salvaged from the bottom of rivers and glaciers that is way, way, way older than wood from a violin made in 1776, so that's not really true either.[/quote]

How much is that wood going to cost? and the person who's going to make a violin out of it?
besides, you're talking about some unreal shit. yeah right, getting wood from bottom of rivers and glaciers. that's not even close to buying a supposed to be one of a kind amp vs. one of a kind violin. so yeah, those old violins are still one of a kind, more than the dumble amps that's for sure.
and I can believe we discuss dumble for two pages now.

eliya wrote:
BadComrade wrote:
eliya wrote:You'd have the same tone, more or less, not matter what amp you play.

An amp can change the sound of an instrument quite a bit.

if you're a good player, your sound will stay the same.

Is this a joke? Or do you just not know what amplifiers are like? You can be the greatest guitarist on the planet, but if you play your awesome guitar through a Fender Twin or through a Mesa Triple Rectifier, do you really think they're going to sound anything alike? Even close?

The voicing of the various stages in a tube amp are going to contribute greatly to your tone. Greatly. There are certainly "standard" designs which many people attribute to Fender even though Fender didn't actually invent them. A Fender Bassman, a Marshall non-master volume amp (like a 1987 or 1959), a Traynor BassMaster and a host of other amps all use a similar design. But even one single aspect of the design, like whether it's voiced to be clean or dirty, or whether it's got a tone stack driven off the plate or the cathode of the tube preceeding it, or what type of transformers are used, or what type of output tubes are used, all of these things make noticeable differences in the sound. Maybe you don't listen closely enough, and think something like "all guitars sound the same" and "all amps sound the same" and "old violins sound special"...

eliya wrote:so yeah, those old violins are still one of a kind, more than the dumble amps that's for sure.
and I can believe we discuss dumble for two pages now.

Dumble amps are not copies of Fender amps any more than you are a copy of some guy in Uruguay. And since they were designed by this doude, and hand-made, probably with very carefully selected parts, yes, they are just as much one-of-a-kind as whatever violin it is you have a boner for.

This is why we're still discussing Dumble for two pages. As far as musical instrument amp builders go, he's a bit of a legend. There are maybe 10 people in the history of mankind who are of the same level of notoriety as he is, in his field.
"The bastards have landed"

www.myspace.com/thechromerobes - now has a couple songs from the new album

zom-zom wrote:I know several professional classical musicians who have paid well into the tens of thousands of dollars for violins, violas, cellos and again thousands for bows.

At the very least. Your world-class soloist guys own instruments worth six or even seven figures. Yo-Yo Ma owns a $2 million Stradivarius cello.

Yeah, my cello instructor ages ago had a $15k cello and a $1k bow, and she told me that's about the cheapest you can get away with if you want to make it anywhere in the classical world. The two things that dashed my dreams of making it in a top orchestra were that, and when she told me she wished she could quit her job so she could practice eight hours a day to prepare for a Columbus Symphony audition. (She did eventually make it.)
tocharian wrote:Cheese fries vs nonexistence. Duh.

BadComrade wrote:You can buy wood that's been salvaged from the bottom of rivers and glaciers that is way, way, way older than wood from a violin made in 1776, so that's not really true either.

Who sells that ? And will that stuff make good material for instrument construction ? Do tell.
Marsupialized wrote:The last time I saw her, she had some Jewish bullshit going on

ubercat wrote:You're fucking cock-tease aren't you, you little minx.