The Synth-Beatbox Love Thread

I've had:

Arp Odyssey (my friend found it in back of pickup truck, covered in leaves, didn't work.. fixed for $100) COOL FUCKING THING that was. Sold it like a dumb ass since it was so confusing to my never touched a synth brain.

Moog Prodigy: My first synth, easy to use, stayed in tune pretty well- became limited really quick. Started coming apart inside. Sold it.

Juno 60: My first synth I really really liked. Juno arpeggiator+Roland Space Echo equaled exceptional ambient sounds indeed. I also liked that you could program it. Never had problems with it but did have to replace a battery at some point. I must have had it for 11 years or something. I sold it last year.

Roland JX3P- Crappy cold metallic analog monster. Did not like. Sold it 3 months after I got it.

Anyone played around with a Roland SH-2 or a Korg Mono/Poly?

kerble wrote:ANy keyboards out there with a 1 or 4 call number to fully realize my gear lust? I guess I could 'settle' for a Quadra (heh) and a univox.

Oberheim 4 Voice? How about a Sci Pro-One to go with the prophet 5? EMS made a couple of prototype VCS4s as well, but wether or not they still exist I'm not sure, I think they were part of their studio which was completely dismantled and destroyed, very sad.

mr.arrison wrote:Oh yeah, also had a Farfisa Combo Compact in Grey. Purchased from a church for $35. I really liked it, but disliked the fact it was like moving a corpse around in an awkward case with a single handle.

Big Muff + Farfisa: Yeah

I have one myself--same deal (though $20 at a garage sale). Was yours out of tune on some keys? Mine is, and it's proved un-tunable. I can't play the lower two Es. But yeah, through a fuzz (EH Graphic) it's awesome.
http://mauricerickard.com/ | http://onezeromusic.com/

I've had most of the CZs at different times but could never get my head around the programming despite having software to help. The last one was a first generation CZ-1000 with a couple of the voice packs but no internal memory (just needed a battery I think), which got sold to a psy-trance outfit in Sheffield.

This topic has also reminded me of the MS-10 I bought for a friend not far off 20 years ago too. A music shop in my home town had a few that it was selling for £40. It was duly sent to London, but due to a lack of any way of having it communicate with MIDI systems (they use a weird CV-earth trigger system), became a plantpot stand until it was sold to Alex Patterson of the Orb for £100. I have since bought the software version but the half size controller, which will work like the real thing, is lying fallow as I haven't got around to upgrading to the OS X Intel version. Still a fun thing to have though.

kerble wrote:
bassdriver wrote:Waldorf Q.

you have one? excellent. how do you like it? I always thought it sounded like playing a film score. the sounds are so ridiculously lush on that one. do you have the yellow or the blue version? so expensive, though.

I have the yellow version. "film score" is spot on. on the other hand it's one of those instruments that make you spend (or waste) days and weeks on creating and editing sounds. the possibilities are endless. I like the multi mode and the 6 outputs. I bought mine for 900 $ from a friend. I couldn't say no to that offer.

bassdriver wrote:
kerble wrote:
bassdriver wrote:Waldorf Q.

you have one? excellent. how do you like it? I always thought it sounded like playing a film score. the sounds are so ridiculously lush on that one. do you have the yellow or the blue version? so expensive, though.

I have the yellow version. "film score" is spot on. on the other hand it's one of those instruments that make you spend (or waste) days and weeks on creating and editing sounds. the possibilities are endless. I like the multi mode and the 6 outputs. I bought mine for 900 $ from a friend. I couldn't say no to that offer.

nice price! I'd totally buy one if it were under a grand.

new question:

Anyone use the Access Virus B? Some hombre is selling one for a good price, and while I wasn't in the market for a new VA synth, this one is too cheep for me not to be at least inquisitive. this isn't the keyboard model, just the virus b module. I should be able to run it with the keyboard of my nord, right?
kerble is right.