DAW: Reaper

Crap (No votes)
Not Crap
Total votes: 1 (100%)
Total votes: 1

DAW: Reaper DAW: Reaper

projectMalamute wrote:154 wrote:Reaper also defaults to a grid and snap, making cutting/pasting blocks super easy.Just an aside: how do you make it stop doing that? I never record to a click but sometimes do stuff like edit the verse of one take with the chorus of another. I just find a cymbal crash or something and cut all the tracks there.I was trying to do this at my friend's place on Reaper and the snapping to a grid thing was making me crazy.Bonus points if you can tell me how to get it to snap to region start/stop points.To just turn it off or to make it not the default? The former I just turn off the highlighted grid and snap (a magnet icon) buttons in the upper left corner. That's always been easy enough for me (though I use the grid way more now than I used to) that I haven't bothered with custom settings..

154 wrote:Clicks are super easy: Options > Metronome > Enable. You'll probably need to adjust the click track volume as well (Metronome Settings), I find the defaults a little low. Reaper also defaults to a grid and snap, making cutting/pasting blocks super easy.For fake drums I usually do that within EZ Drummer and render it to a few stems (kick track, overhead/traps stereo, maybe an additional room mics stereo) and just import those Wavs. Programming MIDI or even triggering it within the DAW seems like hell.maybe I misunderstand what you're saying, but EZ Drummer works perfectly as a plugin in Reaper. you can sync it with the tempo of Reaper (EZ Drummers midi files) or you can grab those files with the mouse and insert them on the Instrument track and then edit them with the in the midi editor.

154 wrote:Yeah I'll have to play around with that more but I've been recording drums first for so long (going back to the 4 track era) that it's a little hard to imagine needing to replace sounds as I go. (which is still doable anyway)ha, I missed the fact that you're a great drummer. must make drum programming/ using loops somehow harder. while I switched to BFD drums, both EZ and BFD work similar. of course this only works when you record to a fixed tempo/ click track. but if you use them as a plugin in Reaper you can open EZ drummer and click on the play button of their midi files, they will play in sync of your song. that makes it very easy to to check out totally different drum patterns to a riff you played. you can then grab that midi file in the plug in and move it onto your EZD track and edit it in the midi editor (double click on midi item). of course you can use any midi keyboard/ pad and directly record/ overdub your own drum pattern in your EZD track. under view options you can switch your midi file from keyboard with note length to drum mode, so you'll only see single points on the grid.

154 wrote:Reaper also defaults to a grid and snap, making cutting/pasting blocks super easy.Just an aside: how do you make it stop doing that? I never record to a click but sometimes do stuff like edit the verse of one take with the chorus of another. I just find a cymbal crash or something and cut all the tracks there.I was trying to do this at my friend's place on Reaper and the snapping to a grid thing was making me crazy.Bonus points if you can tell me how to get it to snap to region start/stop points.

numberthirty wrote:Tommy, what problems did you have?It's been awhile, so it's a little hard to remember. I think it was setting up a click track, cut and pasting parts of takes, and maybe monitoring issues during overdubs. I mean, I'm a super BASIC user. I don't even EQ (or use plugins on) all of my individual tracks. Wouldn't know what the hell a buss even is. Just recently learned what side chaining effects is.Here's all I ever really do by myself:turn on click - change tempo/time signaturerecord mic one to track 1record mic two to track 2set playback levelsoverdub to tracks 3, 4, 5, etc.change levels for monitoringuse the best parts of several takesmute sectionsadd reverb to vocal trackadd compression to bass, kick, and snare tracksset all fade ins and fade outsput a mastering plugin on the main stereo tracksbounceI just recently learned what needs to be done to program drum tracks (have to put MIDI notes into the grid, what a pain in the dick).

twelvepoint wrote:Checking out keyboard shortcuts is always a good way to learn how to do stuff fast, and it also helps you understand common UI operationshttps://defkey.com/reaper-shortcutsThere are a whole host of operations here that defeat grid-snap. Looks like holding ctrl generally is the key (pun intended) to doing this.Wow. That whole page totally reads like fucking latin to me. Which might explain why I might have been having trouble editing stuff using common hotkey stuff like command+C, command+Z, highlight + DELETE, dragging, etc.Side note: I do most stuff in Pro Tools in slip, not snap, which could also explain why I was having issues in Reaper composite editing...

projectMalamute wrote:154 wrote:Reaper also defaults to a grid and snap, making cutting/pasting blocks super easy.Just an aside: how do you make it stop doing that? I never record to a click but sometimes do stuff like edit the verse of one take with the chorus of another. I just find a cymbal crash or something and cut all the tracks there.I was trying to do this at my friend's place on Reaper and the snapping to a grid thing was making me crazy.Bonus points if you can tell me how to get it to snap to region start/stop points.if you move the cursor over the start/end of a region, there are 2 icons that you see. one (arrow) lets you grab the start point. then if you move up the cursor a bit you can grab the region's cross fade function. that allows you to fade in/ cross fade the file.and as 154 said before you can enable/dissable a couple of functions such as the grid snap in the left upper corner below the menus.

twelvepoint wrote:Checking out keyboard shortcuts is always a good way to learn how to do stuff fast, and it also helps you understand common UI operationshttps://defkey.com/reaper-shortcutsThere are a whole host of operations here that defeat grid-snap. Looks like holding ctrl generally is the key (pun intended) to doing this.another great feature is the possibilty to customize the shortcuts in the Action list. there's a search function that helps you finding the desired function. you can easily add and delete shortcuts and even use any midi device to controll pretty much everything in Reaper.

numberthirty wrote:bassdriver wrote:twelvepoint wrote:Checking out keyboard shortcuts is always a good way to learn how to do stuff fast, and it also helps you understand common UI operationshttps://defkey.com/reaper-shortcutsThere are a whole host of operations here that defeat grid-snap. Looks like holding ctrl generally is the key (pun intended) to doing this.another great feature is the possibilty to customize the shortcuts in the Action list. there's a search function that helps you finding the desired function. you can easily add and delete shortcuts and even use any midi device to controll pretty much everything in Reaper.ha ha! that explains the midi fighter's design!