Boxing?

Crap
Total votes: 16 (36%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 28 (64%)
Total votes: 44

Sport: Boxing

coach wrote:
Your Cap'n Speakin' wrote:Your favorite color is blushing red?

And yours is bullshit brown?

Your argument is weak. Regardless of your viewpoint, equivocating boxing (a voluntary sport, one-on-one, with a referee) with war is petty and doe-eyed. I'm sure the few survivors of the Mai Lai massacre would agree.

Equivocating boxing and war?

Boxing may not be "war," but it's certainly combative. I mean, it's not sunday school, right? A voluntary sport, one-on-one, with a referee. Boxing, right? The sport that reduced Jerry Quarry to a scramble brain. I'm sure he'd agree.

Rimbaud III wrote:BUMP.

Any of you Americanos catch the Brits fight over the weekend?

Calzaghe is wonderful to watch. I believe he was cheated out of a magnificent victory by the premature stoppage. The true boxing fans living across the sea from you have had to make special effort to watch and to admire Calzaghe over the years. He is one of my favourites, and I watched in glee when he beat Jeff Lacy senseless. I also think the media have short-changed him by dissing his less impressive victory over Sakio Bika. I'd like to see Kessler or other middleweights/light heavyweights try to deal with Bika, who is a very underrated fighter at that weight.

Khan is going to be good, I think. It's hard to say from that fight, my first look at him professionally.

I am really glad that HBO has taken an interest in Calzaghe (and Khan). Every one of Calzaghe's fights is fun to watch. He is so unique. I always secretly dreamed of watching him square off with Bernard Hopkins, who is probably my favourite fighter of all-time. I think if Calzaghe can satisfy HBO by beating Kessler, there will be a mega-fight between Hopkins and Calzaghe in 2008, assuming Hopkins beats Winky Wright on July 21st. If there ever is a Calzaghe-Hopkins fight, I will be there -- Vegas, New York, Wales, or wherever.

Your Cap'n Speakin' wrote:Boxing may not be "war," but it's certainly combative.

Your blushing red Ford Pinto may not be the Chrysler building, but it's certainly made of metal.

You must have pw3n!d on your high school debating team.

Ishmael wrote:
Your Cap'n Speakin' wrote:Boxing may not be "war," but it's certainly combative.

Your blushing red Ford Pinto may not be the Chrysler building, but it's certainly made of metal.

You must have pw3n!d on your high school debating team.

Yes, and your slow reaction time must have made you an odds-on favorite in the Special Olympics of intellectual pugilism.

Your Cap'n Speakin' wrote:A man declares his pacifist ideals and opposition to a war. Fair enough.
http://www.kentuckytourism.com/NR/rdonl ... hammed.pdf

That document identifies him as a pacifist and I think misuses the word. That's not a quote from Ali himself.

One can be opposed to war, a proponent of world peace, and be a boxer. You're being deliberately pedantic and obtuse. And in an delightfully civil and polite way too. You must keep the other barristas all smiles.
You had me at Sex Traction Aunts Getting Vodka-Rogered On Glass Furniture

Ty Webb wrote:
Your Cap'n Speakin' wrote:A man declares his pacifist ideals and opposition to a war. Fair enough.
http://www.kentuckytourism.com/NR/rdonl ... hammed.pdf

That document identifies him as a pacifist and I think misuses the word. That's not a quote from Ali himself.

One can be opposed to war, a proponent of world peace, and be a boxer. You're being deliberately pedantic and obtuse. And in an delightfully civil and polite way too. You must keep the other barristas all smiles.

The man asserts his refusal to fight in a war and isn't self-evidently "pacifist"? Does he need to issue a formal declaration? OK, I got you. *wink*

I suppose one can be for war and kill six million Jews and be a vegetarian and animal lover. The spirit. The letter. Let's not quibble. Friends?

Oh, I thought you said barristers. HA!
Last edited by Your Capn Speakin_Archive on Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I watch it when it's on. Don't know shit about the game, don't any current boxers (except the legendary Klitschko bros.), but it always makes me happy to stumble across some organized arena violence when flipping channels-

However, if they could come up with more of a serious gladiator deathmatch type sport, I might become a regular viewer.

Something like the spiked baseball bat match in Escape From New York, or anything with armor and weapons, really.

Crap.

Any other day I wouldn't care enough to even open this thread but last Saturday I had to endure this tedious game.

A bunch of us went to my brother's girlfriend's house for a game of poker. Then the lads remembered there were 2 boxing matches on (the ones mentioned above, I think) so I sat through that shite, waiting to play poker. Then football came on. Match of the day I think. For about 2 hours, or so it seemed. I thought it would be rude to the host to leave so I stared at my feet for a long time and went outside to smoke.

We never did play poker and from this day forth I will walk out of a room/building/party if boxing comes on. Or any other sport for that matter (excluding football but only because I'd never see my friends and family again).
simmo wrote:Someone make my carrot and grapefruits smoke. Please.

On the heels of the remarkable rematch between Israel Vazquez and Rafael Marquez come seven significant "can't miss" bouts to close out 2007. If you remotely enjoy boxing, do not miss these fights:

[1] Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Rocky Juarez (WBC junior lightweight), 09.15.2007

[2] Jermain Taylor v. Kelly Pavlik (Ring/WBC/WBO middleweight), 09.29.2007

[3] Manny Pacquiao v. Marco Antonio Barrera II, 10.06.2007

[4] Juan Diaz v. Julio Diaz (WBA/WBO/IBF lightweight), 10.13.2007

[5] Joe Calzaghe v. Mikkel Kessler (Ring/WBO/WBC/WBA super middleweight), 11.03.2007

[6] Miguel Cotto v. Shane Mosley (WBA welterweight), 11.10.2007

[7] Floyd Mayweather v. Ricky Hatton (Ring/WBC welterweight), 12.08.2007

And, then, early 2008 will bring Vazquez-Marquez III, the end of a series very worthy of a third fight to complete a classic trilogy.