Midnight Oil

crap
Total votes: 17 (52%)
not crap
Total votes: 16 (48%)
Total votes: 33

band: midnight oil

Sorry for digging this one up but I searched, saw the 50/50 standing and voted NOT CRAP.

Midnight Oil, like Helmet, are a band whose merits I've had to defend against friends who can't (or won't let themselves) hear music as music and so judge some musicians through a haze of defensive attitudes, which process is inimical to any true criticism.
They are the attitudes of the lifelong adolescent and as a 30-year old man I am not prepared to entertain them in myself.

Without imputing such defensive attitudes to members of this forum I have to wonder if everyone who has voted and posted on this poll has listened past the dated 1980’s studio trickery to the arrangements and components of the music itself.

Midnight Oil’s music judged on musical criteria is, I believe, not crap. Rhythm, harmony and melody are all attended to competently and consistently.

They are, however, a good choice for a C/NC poll.
Last edited by HOUSTON_M_Archive on Sun May 14, 2006 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

I can't say I've had the urge to replenish my once nearly complete stores of Midnight Oil CDs. But I have to second and third the assertion that they were a fantastic live band. I've never seen such a tireless and frenetic (in a good way) frontman as Garrett. It was exhausting just to watch him, but he never slowed down.

Decidedly NOT CRAP.
You had me at Sex Traction Aunts Getting Vodka-Rogered On Glass Furniture

Rhythm, harmony and melody are all attended to competently and consistently.

Surely there has to be something more to a band than just being competent players?

Apart from the politics, which make them almost bearable. MO are crap of the highest order. They are a perfect example of rubbish Aussie music.
Last edited by B_M_L_Archive on Tue May 16, 2006 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

B_M_L wrote:
Rhythm, harmony and melody are all attended to competently and consistently.

Surely there has to be something more to a band than just being competent players?

Apart from the politics, which make them almost bearable. MO are pre crap of the highest order. They are a perfect example of rubbish Aussie music.

Good grief yes, not far removed from Jimmy Barnes or Jon Farnham. Aussie-pub rock with it's heart in the right place.
Reality

Popular Mechanics Report of 9-11

NIST Investigation of the World Trade Center Disaster

They are a perfect example of rubbish Aussie music.

I just want to make it clear that I'm not saying anything stoopid like "all Aussie music is rubbish". Just that M.O. is definitley within a tradition of crap Aus' bands. Not too dissimilar to a breed of crap NZ bands... The Dudes, The Exponents, The Mockers etc.