current DIY projects you are working on .. or planning on.

I was thinking of this thread this weekend as I worked on like 10 projects at once. here is the list.Ibanez Rick 4001 copy w/bolt on neck. I need to finish sanding the neck and send it and the body out to A local luthier to have him paint it. I'd do it myself but he does these increadible sunburst in interesting colors, I'm thinking teal to yellow, it's called a cactus burst. The guy's name is John Rumley and in addition to making awesome cheap custom baritones and repairs, he plays pedal steel in Slim Cessna's Auto Club. After it gets back from paint, I'm cutting a new pickguard and dropping a Mosrite single coil pickup in the neck and a guild humbucker in the bridge. it also will rock a Kahler bass trem. Conn organ pipes. I have two ranks of conn organ pipes(one bass and one treble) that are in pretty sorry shape that need to get sanded and then painted and recased. these are neet keyboard speakers with pipes coming up from them that act kinda like organ pipes but not tuned as precisely as real ones. This plus a 1x15 and my cordovox leslie 16 will make a killer keyboard setup. Airline 6v6 amp conversion. My guitarist from SpokeShaver bought this old Airline that was in a fire and the chassis was OK if not a little scortched but the speaker and cabinet were fucked, so I built a new cabinet outta pine that he is retolexing and we went from a 8 or 10 or whatever to a 12 inch celestion and we are making the new cabinet closed backed and ported with the chassis sticking out the top like a portoflex, I finally cut the baffle last night so needs to tolex it and we need to do a little clean up on the chassis and faceplate, but this is pretty close. Epiphone Dot rebuild. My buddy Spencer from The JimJims broke the headstock off his Epiphone dot and rather than junk it, he brought it to me and I rebuilt the joint from about the second fret to about the 1st tuning key hole with a 5 peice maple & bubinga joint, I also added a valute to help give it some strength. next step is the finish the faceplate on the headstock and put the Grovers in, then we added bill lawrence hums out of a PV t-60 and we're wiring it up with series/parallel switches for both of the hums and independant volume & tone controls.. It also gets a tone pros bridge and saddle and a brass nut. PRS Singlecut SE. A guy I know got this guitar cheap, it looks like a les paul junior and sounds plays nice. We added a lollar P90 to the bridge already and changed the pots switches to american CTS & switchcraft. Next he wants to put a Firebird pickup in the neck and wire it up to a push pull for coil split and add a 3 way selector.28-28.5 baritone custom. I started working on this project again after like 5 years of sitting, I have a neck pretty much made, just need to drop a truss rod and fretboard on. the body is pretty well chambered and I have a contouring plan for the top. then I've got to glue it all up and route for pickups and finish it. this is more like a 6 month goal. The neck is 3 piece hard rock maple and cocobolo with the neck going 3/4 of the way through the body and the body is walnut. top is burl maple. I might try for some old pickups in this, or bill lawrence x500 with a rick single as a middle pickup. then probably bigsby and kluson tonepros tuners. lots of electronic goodies like an old BC Rich. havn't figured out what the finish is yet, but since I'm keeping it, probably rick midnight blue burst to match my 330 since I'll switch between the two on stage.other customs - I also have 3 other customs in various stages of build, all three are les paul shape, but with an asymetrical waist, chambered bodies of high quality woods, high end parts and pickups. I just have no one set up to buy them so they sit, so if you're interested PM me, we'll work something out. Deluxe 5e3 head. I'm getting like half voltage on V1 & V2 but V3 & V4 seem OK, so I've gotta chase down that, maybe a grounding problem. other than that it is pretty close, just have to build a box for it and tolex it up. that's off the top of my head and what I'd like to finish up before it gets too cold to work outside cause working in my shop is kinda cramped. it looks a lot worse when I write it all down. This is all of course on top of a 40 hour a week job and 2 bands practicing twice a week. No rest for the wicked as my dad always says.

notimeforlove wrote:The Rumleys are nice, both the guitarists in my band had them for a little while, they sound good, although he doesn't use very good quality pickups so I think a new bridge pickup would suit them very well. also, he uses ping tuners a lot of times which I'm no fan of. That said, the guitars themselves are awesome, they play well, arn't too heavy. Cheap is the price range, for an american made, one off custom guitar, he charges $395 plus shipping. he had a bari up on ebay the other day, here it is. his seller name is 2005rumleyWhoa, $395 is a price I can definitely get behind. That's the exact baritone I was thinking of too. I like the idea of a real wood guitar vs. the plastic/mdf/??? danelectro of a comparable price too.

The Rumleys are nice, both the guitarists in my band had them for a little while, they sound good, although he doesn't use very good quality pickups so I think a new bridge pickup would suit them very well. also, he uses ping tuners a lot of times which I'm no fan of. That said, the guitars themselves are awesome, they play well, arn't too heavy. Cheap is the price range, for an american made, one off custom guitar, he charges $395 plus shipping. he had a bari up on ebay the other day, here it is. his seller name is 2005rumley

So I recently discovered my beater Simon Strat is actually, underneath the SSS pickguard, routed for HSH.So this is gonna be my next project. Ideas so far:- lipstick humbucker or Dream 90 in the bridge position, and that's it.- lipstick humbucker or Dream 90 at the neck, some sorta slant single coil at the bridge (Tele layout, kind of)- lipstick single coil in the middle, like an old Silvertone.(all unused positions would be covered up obviously, so probably a custom pickguard is needed.)This is an exciting project for me, and I can probably get it all finished for like $100, maybe less. I'm not sure if this thing is worth an aluminum neck, though, but if I find a bolt-on EGC on eBay I may spring for it.