Re: What are you reading?

Almost done with Memories of Amnesia by Lawrence Shainberg - damn funny book about a neurosurgeon who, mid surgery, suspects he himself has brain damage and falls down a rabbit hole with all kinds of paradoxes and circularity. Read about it in an essay by Jonathan Lethem. Harry Crews and JG Ballard were fans.

A really affordable book of Egon Schiele paintings I bought online that I had to wait to pick up from the post office because our apartment complex doesn't hold packages in the office any more and I work 25 miles in the other direction Monday through Friday. Book's great, though.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."

JR by William Gaddis. It's reputation for being dense and difficult is not entirely unearned, but once you get into the rhythm of the thing it is an immense pleasure. The only other Gaddis I've read is A Frolic of His Own, which I struggled through 20+ years ago, but based on this I want to read everything.

I read a whole lot of Gaddis and DeLillo after having read Infinite Jest for the first time and followed the rabbit hole of references that David Foster Wallace dropped into all of his interviews, and Gaddis is a fun ride, for sure.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."

Verge of Light wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:51 pm
iembalm wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:30 pm A really affordable book of Egon Schiele paintings...
Is that the Taschen book by Reinard Steiner? Gotta love Schiele.

I’m about 2/3 thru “Battle Royale” by Koushun Takami. I love the movie but the book is soooooooo much more detailed / complex.
Christ I love Schiele. Rothko I love but Egon I would die for. Sorry to post such a random thing but my god, amazing. Try to find the book "Eros and Passion". I think the publisher was called unicorn or something.
"There's a felling I get when I look to the west"
"When the meaningful words. When they cease to function. When there's nothing to say."

various books relating to saltmarsh plants and ecology. my colleague and friend Danny the project botanist went and had a stroke so i am having to step up my game a bit. to be fair he was mainly a grass man and i probably know more about saltmarsh plants but still i am now the plant survey leader for our team.
fuck pears