C/NC: Parody bands

Flipper-Ha Ha Ha
Total votes: 5 (38%)
Husker Du-It's Not Funny Anymore
Total votes: 8 (62%)
Total votes: 13

Re: C/NC: Parody bands

Nate Dort wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:11 pm Is The Upper Crust a parody band? They're not directly copying anybody else's songs, but they're definitely going for the AC/DC thing with a well-defined schtick.

You know, I mentioned them here a while back with fond memories of hearing them on WPRB a long time ago. Then I went back for a listen and they weren't all that good. I think they count though.

biscuitdough wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:47 pm
Nate Dort wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:11 pm Is The Upper Crust a parody band? They're not directly copying anybody else's songs, but they're definitely going for the AC/DC thing with a well-defined schtick.

You know, I mentioned them here a while back with fond memories of hearing them on WPRB a long time ago. Then I went back for a listen and they weren't all that good. I think they count though.
I didn't think they were all that good.

I mean, if you're going to go with that theme as a rock band, sure there's some hilarity there. I was disappointed the music didn't parody tropes of the Common Practice Period. You can still write rock songs and include authentic cadence, avoidance of parallel fifths, descending circle of fifths modulations, development through parallel/relative minor and dominant/subdominant, etc...

Geiginni wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:02 pm
biscuitdough wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:47 pm

I didn't think they were all that good.

I mean, if you're going to go with that theme as a rock band, sure there's some hilarity there. I was disappointed the music didn't parody tropes of the Common Practice Period. You can still write rock songs and include authentic cadence, avoidance of parallel fifths, descending circle of fifths modulations, development through parallel/relative minor and dominant/subdominant, etc...
Victorian era Steel Panther.

zorg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:03 am
It’s a pretty tired exercise, but I still chortled.
I cannot wait for this.

Also, I feel like Al’s originals and “style parody” songs can be better than the straight up parody tunes. Nature Trail to Hell, Craigslist - brilliant stuff. The polka medleys are always great too and are awesome little time capsules of what was popular at the time.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com