Re: Your Songwriting Process

penningtron wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:18 am
cakes wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:37 pmWhen we would write songs together, I liked how you would power through ideas to arrive at a better place. That's a skill I picked up from you.
Thanks! I learned it from playing in a metalcore band early on that would just ruthlessly edit their songs week to week. It was annoying to me at first because I would get used to and attached to ideas, but it always made the songs better in the end.

There's kind of a fine balance of inspiration and detachment, and ultimately it takes work. It would be unsatisfying at this point to just mash parts together and call it done.
It's a real skill to be able to just toss things out. I do it pretty ruthlessly, too. Or save that cool thing for something else. I just never try to force something to work when it's not working.

The project I'm with now is slow moving. One player lives out of state and has a billion other projects whereas other players have a billion other projects. Scheduling is a bear. We've been playing together since last August and literally have one completed song along with a handful of sketches. Not sure if it was my own cognitive distortions, or boredom, or frustration with pacing, but at practice today I suggested we completely rework the one completed song with radical changes in structure, sound, tempo and subtraction. I think at a rush to get to a destination we were settling instead of innovating. Also, it's really difficult for myself to be satisfied. I've changed songs right before going in the studio and/or in the studio. I remember a friend once teaching me how to write using software and I couldn't get anything finished because there were just too many options.

When you know you just know.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

free meat wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:31 pm
Gramsci wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:43 am Okay, now I’m waiting for an EZDrummer sale!
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=591972
ezdrummer3 for 94 pounds.
Cheers. I’m going to go with the Thomann bundle of EzD3 plus two packs. Seems a good deal
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

My songwriting process has been to amass a giant pile of gear, complicated and expensive gear, so much that I could plausibly open a commercial recording studio, and spend a few years connecting it all up so you can effortlessly move through my basement recording guitar, bass, drums, keys and vocals without having to go through any significant effort to set anything up at all. Just plug in and hit record. Then I stand in the room, look at it, feel uninspired, overwhelmed, and paralyzed. I sit at my computer and play a video game or look at more gear on Reverb. Then at night when I'm trying to go to sleep so I can wake up for work the next day I struggle to tamp down all the cool song Ideas that I will fail to remember for tomorrow. Seems to work for me.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html

Kniferide wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:54 am My songwriting process has been to amass a giant pile of gear, complicated and expensive gear, so much that I could plausibly open a commercial recording studio, and spend a few years connecting it all up so you can effortlessly move through my basement recording guitar, bass, drums, keys and vocals without having to go through any significant effort to set anything up at all. Just plug in and hit record. Then I stand in the room, look at it, feel uninspired, overwhelmed, and paralyzed. I sit at my computer and play a video game or look at more gear on Reverb. Then at night when I'm trying to go to sleep so I can wake up for work the next day I struggle to tamp down all the cool song Ideas that I will fail to remember for tomorrow. Seems to work for me.
There is that seductive quality of waiting for the postman to deliver the latest toy box.

Kniferide wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:54 am My songwriting process has been to amass a giant pile of gear, complicated and expensive gear, so much that I could plausibly open a commercial recording studio, and spend a few years connecting it all up so you can effortlessly move through my basement recording guitar, bass, drums, keys and vocals without having to go through any significant effort to set anything up at all. Just plug in and hit record. Then I stand in the room, look at it, feel uninspired, overwhelmed, and paralyzed. I sit at my computer and play a video game or look at more gear on Reverb. Then at night when I'm trying to go to sleep so I can wake up for work the next day I struggle to tamp down all the cool song Ideas that I will fail to remember for tomorrow. Seems to work for me.
My process as well!
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com