Re: A Few New Projects

mdc wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:08 pm If sustainability is a consideration - why not richlite?
Agreed. I like dark woods too, and richlite makes that doable.

Not sure what other dark, sustainable options are handy.

If my income upgrade comes through, I may be interested in something down the line (maybe start of next year, who knows).

updates for the week. #10 is fretted and body is complete. Next week will start the long process of sanding and polishing.
#11 has the fretboard attached and neck is shaped. Body is just starting the finishing process. Long way to go, but I am able to double up on some processes, so it comes together more quickly that work 1 by 1.

Haven't had much time in the shop the last 2 weeks due to being on the road and busy w/ day job. But slowly making progress on #10. Provided all goes to plan, should have this one polished and headed for final assembly before I take off for another 4 days of tech work. The person who was interested in this one has bailed, so it is for sale. 25.5" scale, rosewood board, 8k PAF type pickup, gotohs, should come in around 8 pounds.

VaticanShotglass wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 6:37 pm
mdc wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:08 pm If sustainability is a consideration - why not richlite?

This richlite stuff is intriguing. I wish the samples didn't cost money. I kinda love little sample packs for whatever odd reason.

Not sure if this is a sustainable option or not, but the fretboards on my The Duke basses are both Ebonol, v similar to bowling ball material. I love it. Next to a metal fretboard, this is my favorite. Actually though looking at the ebonol entry on wikipedia, it says it's also a paper/resin laminate which sounds like it is in that Richlite ballpark perhaps? Anyway, I'll take alla that you got.

Surprised this material isn't/wasn't more widely used, although I guess it might be a bit more brittle/prone to chipping if you think of how a communal bowling ball at the alley has wear chips around the fingers probably from rings or whatever.

Garth wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:34 am
VaticanShotglass wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 6:37 pm

This richlite stuff is intriguing. I wish the samples didn't cost money. I kinda love little sample packs for whatever odd reason.

Not sure if this is a sustainable option or not, but the fretboards on my The Duke basses are both Ebonol, v similar to bowling ball material. I love it. Next to a metal fretboard, this is my favorite. Actually though looking at the ebonol entry on wikipedia, it says it's also a paper/resin laminate which sounds like it is in that Richlite ballpark perhaps? Anyway, I'll take alla that you got.

Surprised this material isn't/wasn't more widely used, although I guess it might be a bit more brittle/prone to chipping if you think of how a communal bowling ball at the alley has wear chips around the fingers probably from rings or whatever.
resin/paper sounds more like a micarta,

If you find ebony fretboards/blanks - anything labled 'Crelicam ebony' is at least harvested legally, but is also replanted

Well, I was in Arkansas for a gig all week, and when I landed I had the worst cold ever- bedridden for 3 days. Today I'm good for about 20 minutes at a time standing/walking/doing stuff before I need to lay down for a bit. So I got #10 polished. Trying a different compound and process, much better, close to a mirror shine. This just means I need to up my sanding game.
and #11 is done getting frets installed. I'll probably be working from home the next couple days...so might have a few minutes here and there to make progress.

Mickey242 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:07 pm Cleaning pots on my Sytek MPX. I love stepped gain pots!

Edit: Why is this 950 dollars on reverb?
The price on these has never shifted. Even used they are in the 700 to 800 range. It's actually odd really, I like mine but it isn't THAT cool. Clean preamps aren't that hard to come across. I feel like an audient gets you a similar thing and you get 8 for the price.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html