Re: What Video Games Are You Playing?

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:50 am Enjoying Taiji at the moment. Something nice and chill to accompany a podcast. Good puzzles, nice aesthetic.
That looks quite delightful. I fear I don’t have much time for games, or perhaps don’t make enough time for them. For reasons unknown, I’m currently shying away from peaceful, contemplative material, and going for frantic action. Hence, Dusk and Akai Katana Shin, a Cave bullet-hell schmup that I’m awful at, barely understand, and find most relaxing.

I’ve also picked up and greatly enjoyed the first level of the widely-lambasted Wanted:Dead, and I’m going to return to that when I have more time. A schmup enthusiast made a great case for the game’s underlying mechanics, and once I got used to its quirks, I found the underlying gameplay outstanding.

To free up space on my PS5’s stingy drive, I aim to finally finish RDR2, a game I loved, but drifted away from after spending many hours on the online game, only to be disappointed when it was abandoned after its in-game economy was tweaked to try to force players to spend real cash for more content. A shame, as it is a nice place just to hang out in.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!

sparky wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:00 pm “Dusk”, loudest of the new wave of boomer shooters, is a wonderful game, a perfect example of something that evokes the older form it references while being quietly modern: the inventiveness of the level design, the steady escalation in enemy types, the movement; and the vitality of its art direction had me pushing immediately into the next level every time I finished another, wanting to see what came next.

I quite like the term “boomer shooter”.

You wanna hit Ashes: 2034 and its sequel. Those games are free and astonishingly good. There is a level in the sequel that really pushed me to the edge as far as fascinating gameplay conventions go.

After that, do Cultic.
https://laddermatchco.bandcamp.com/album/closed-casket

GuyLaCroix wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:58 amYou wanna hit Ashes: 2034 and its sequel. Those games are free and astonishingly good.
A swift google and Steam search suggests that there’s a typo in that game title, or I need to look harder, or that you are making a clever joke about cricket that I need to work harder on. Which is to say, help! I may never get round to it, but I like to see the shiny ones!
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!

sparky wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:32 pm
GuyLaCroix wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:58 amYou wanna hit Ashes: 2034 and its sequel. Those games are free and astonishingly good.
A swift google and Steam search suggests that there’s a typo in that game title, or I need to look harder, or that you are making a clever joke about cricket that I need to work harder on. Which is to say, help! I may never get round to it, but I like to see the shiny ones!
I spent ages trying to figure this out. I think he meant Ashes 2063

A thousand pardons, I was conflating Ashes 2063 and Metro 2034.
andyman wrote:
I spent ages trying to figure this out. I think he meant Ashes 2063
Andyman, my angel <3
https://laddermatchco.bandcamp.com/album/closed-casket