Re: What are you reading?

I've just finished Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon. It was the first fantasy I've enjoyed reading in a long time! Currently in Severence by Ling Ma, and I have Ghost Flames by Charles J. Hanley on deck.

Anyone else used libby? My girlfriend recently turned me on to it, and it's been a fantastic way to read a TON without spending any money. Can basically check out books from the local library onto your phone and/or e reader.
fossilarm.bandcamp.com

kokorodoko wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:35 pm Suggestions please.

I'm thinking about what to read during the summer. Already decided that I'm going to read up on the Reformation and Luther. Other than that I'm thinking of starting to acquaint myself with British empiricism. Thinking of either Locke (because he's very prominent) or Hobbes (because he's one of the early ones). Can I jump into blabla Human Understanding right away or is reading Hobbes first better? Any secondary lit that might be helpful?
Hopefully I'm not too late with these recommendations and they haven't been suggested (other places than this forum):

For a broad history of the Reformation and Counter Reformation (and the era they occur in generally), see Reformations by Carlos Eire. For another contrasting set of views, see Fatal Discord: Erasmus, Luther, and the Fight for the Western Mind by Michael Massing which is a biography of Erasmus Desiderus and Martin Luther, and their opposing goals/theological standpoints.

juxtapose wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:51 pmHopefully I'm not too late with these recommendations and they haven't been suggested (other places than this forum):

For a broad history of the Reformation and Counter Reformation (and the era they occur in generally), see Reformations by Carlos Eire. For another contrasting set of views, see Fatal Discord: Erasmus, Luther, and the Fight for the Western Mind by Michael Massing which is a biography of Erasmus Desiderus and Martin Luther, and their opposing goals/theological standpoints.
Cool! True to myself I changed my mind and I'm going to look at the Upanishads and do some basic Sanskrit, but there'll probably be time for some of that other stuff.
born to give

I'm halfway through James Tate's Memoir of the Hawk. It's brilliant. The cumulative effect of the poems, the atmosphere they build collectively, or the state of mind they slowly put you in, is lovely. Read most of it so far in the dark in the little red spotlight of a headlamp at midnight outside while camping and sipping a beer, after splashing around all day, somehow the perfect mode for breezing through this little gem. Highly recommended. Especially to David Berman fans (DCB studied with him, and it shows). Don't know why it took me so long to check him out properly.

I'm rereading Live From New York: The Complete, Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live. I watched the show regularly in the early 90's, then stopped. I've recently started watching it again, because it's kind of a way to stay pop culturally current. Sometimes the shows are funny and sometimes they're a slog. The book is great though.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."