Re: What Video Games Are You Playing?

biscuitdough wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:13 am
DrAwkward wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:33 pm Hollow Knight on the Switch really saved my sanity in the last year. Incredible Metroidvania side-scroller. Just did a second run through on it. I will never be able to solve the Trial of the Fool or the fucking Radiance.

Just picked up Hades and it's a blast.
This game is so stupid hard that I wish I had bought it as a physical Switch cartridge instead of download. That way, I could at least derive some satisfaction from it, as I bash it with a large rock.

I had been playing Dead Cells, which is also hard, but they nerfed a mutation I use in the new update. You can switch back to previous versions, but I accidentally played my main save file on the new update, and once you do that, your save won't work on other versions, so I guess I'm done with the game forever now.

I hate the concept of the hard game. These are both games I liked the aesthetics of, but they're ruined by the developers' catering to hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers don't need a developed aesthetic. Hardcore gamers will play Souls games, the ugliest games ever made.
Hades is really fun. I love rogue-lite biome games. Dead Cells is also a real favorite. I think that is my third most-played game on steam. DrAwk, if you haven't played Dead Cells, give it a try. My favorite combo is speed sword and nerves of steel. Oh lordy, nerves of steel!

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:22 am
cakes wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:21 am Nothing beats a Souls game, other than maybe Slay the Spire. I think I've sunk even more hours into the souls series. Really looking forward to Elden Ring.
Noita beats the lot, but Bloodborne isn't far behind. I think Bloodborne with the DLC is the best storytelling in videogames.
I have never played Bloodborne, because it's PS-only. But, I consider it a souls game. It looks faster-paced, whereas souls you have to ease your way around, but essentially the same ideas with slightly different mechanics. And it's From.... Elden Ring looks like its gonna be another souls game. Has anyone with a PS5 picked up the Demon Souls remaster? I heard it's awesome. I played the shit out of Demon Souls on PS2.

Tried Noita, but I had a hard time trying to play on a controller from my couch. It looks like it's better designed for mouse/keyboard. I have this hard and fast rule, that even though I have a PC, I can only use it as a console. I set it up to be like one anyway. Oftentimes, I have to skip games that I would normally have fun with, just because I can't read the text. Tainted Grail, I'm looking at you!

cakes wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:24 am
biscuitdough wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:13 am
DrAwkward wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:33 pm Hollow Knight on the Switch really saved my sanity in the last year. Incredible Metroidvania side-scroller. Just did a second run through on it. I will never be able to solve the Trial of the Fool or the fucking Radiance.

Just picked up Hades and it's a blast.
This game is so stupid hard that I wish I had bought it as a physical Switch cartridge instead of download. That way, I could at least derive some satisfaction from it, as I bash it with a large rock.

I had been playing Dead Cells, which is also hard, but they nerfed a mutation I use in the new update. You can switch back to previous versions, but I accidentally played my main save file on the new update, and once you do that, your save won't work on other versions, so I guess I'm done with the game forever now.

I hate the concept of the hard game. These are both games I liked the aesthetics of, but they're ruined by the developers' catering to hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers don't need a developed aesthetic. Hardcore gamers will play Souls games, the ugliest games ever made.
Hades is really fun. I love rogue-lite biome games. Dead Cells is also a real favorite. I think that is my third most-played game on steam. DrAwk, if you haven't played Dead Cells, give it a try. My favorite combo is speed sword and nerves of steel. Oh lordy, nerves of steel!
Post edited to indicate that I was talking about Hollow Knight. Bosses need about 20% less HP and there need to be like, 3x as many benches.

Dead Cells was fun when Barbed Tips worked. Barbed Tips and Repeater Crossbow or Barbed Tips, Quick Bow and a shield. It was nice while it lasted.

Installed the first Subnautica a few weeks back. My machine isn't exactly powerful or anything, but it still evokes a sense of wonder and is legit one of the most terrifying games I've ever played. There's something truly scary about diving down, swimming for 10 seconds without seeing any ocean floor, then... "What's that? Are there things walking around down there?..."

biscuitdough wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:00 am
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:58 am
biscuitdough wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:13 amHardcore gamers will play Souls games, the ugliest games ever made.
Have you seen Irithyll of the Boreal Valley?
The backgrounds are fine. The characters and weapons are all misproportioned in a hideous middle school notebook doodle/Rob Liefeld mashup.
Heaven forbid realistic or tasteful proportions be disregarded in grotesquely phantasmagoric video games.

I love the way Fromsoft games look. They've cheek, playfulness and humour in design. I see how you could find them ugly, but they make me grin, motionless lips of NPCs, 'Berserk'-style mega-swords and all. The modern prettiness of most high-budget games is a bit boring. Red Dead Redemption 2 is an exception; I admire how they went for this dramatic, painterly look.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!

sparky wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:47 am
biscuitdough wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:00 am
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:58 am

Have you seen Irithyll of the Boreal Valley?
The backgrounds are fine. The characters and weapons are all misproportioned in a hideous middle school notebook doodle/Rob Liefeld mashup.
Heaven forbid realistic or tasteful proportions be disregarded in grotesquely phantasmagoric video games.

I love the way Fromsoft games look. They've cheek, playfulness and humour in design. I see how you could find them ugly, but they make me grin, motionless lips of NPCs, 'Berserk'-style mega-swords and all. The modern prettiness of most high-budget games is a bit boring. Red Dead Redemption 2 is an exception; I admire how they went for this dramatic, painterly look.
I don't care about realism. This shit is just badly done. Which one had the pioneering character portrait designer that let you generate an infinite infinite variety of faces, as long as they still look like a shaved ape with Bell's palsy?