Re: Interesting Gear Developments Thread

The reality may be different than the promise but the idea that it is fully integrated into the DAW is really cool, and not just some “send us your files and we’ll run them thru and echo chamber” deal. It makes me also wonder why processor owners in other locations couldn’t mount servos to their own gear and make some $ during downtime. Or partner with manufacturers to have this as a service as well. Super cool stuff and it would be great to hear some testimonials. If Access Analog is really committed to making this a good experience for the recording world, it could be an amazing resource.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

just wanted to chime in and update that I misunderstood the pricing structure - I guess it's not entirely subscription based? There's a whole credits page and as near as I can figure it's like 1 dollar = 1 credit (and price breaks going up the ladder of course) and different gear will have a different amount of time per credit probably based on how expensive, rare, in demand the unit it is.

EDIT: Yeah I will have to give them credit for taking the honest step of making clear pricing here which more and more vendors of any product/service seem to be afraid to do.

My friend who showed this to me also added that at worst, this could be a cheap way to try out $alty gear to see if it's really worth it. Gear list at above link kinda intriguing!
Last edited by Garth on Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twelvepoint wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:58 pm It makes me also wonder why processor owners in other locations couldn’t mount servos to their own gear and make some $ during downtime. Or partner with manufacturers to have this as a service as well.
Yes, I could absolutely see this being a resource that many studios could leverage in a gig economy sort of way to continue making money and help pay bills/stay afloat if it weren't a completely expensive pain in the ass to set up - and also continue using the gear for actual in-house sessions.

I could also see them licensing the servo technology so studios could setup and control their analog rack gear w/ full automation from their DAW

If the above were also possible, could just flip the switch and go both directions.

losthighway wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:15 pm Somehow I thought I'd already shared this strange new contraption on here. The reviews have been positive, even if it seems a little gimmicky.

I'm fascinated by the idea of instantly changing the tuning of a snare and hearing it change without the old lag time of working around the lugs.

https://www.dialtunedrums.com/products/ ... faSf-x2Cz4
Seems cool, but 1) expensive!, and 2) How does it handle two heads? Are they both pulled with the same mechanism and thus always at the same tension? That would seem to be limiting.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thetonyballs/

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:44 am
losthighway wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:15 pm Somehow I thought I'd already shared this strange new contraption on here. The reviews have been positive, even if it seems a little gimmicky.

I'm fascinated by the idea of instantly changing the tuning of a snare and hearing it change without the old lag time of working around the lugs.

Seems cool, but 1) expensive!, and 2) How does it handle two heads? Are they both pulled with the same mechanism and thus always at the same tension? That would seem to be limiting.
There are 2 knobs to control the heads individually

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:44 am

I've been marketed to by this company and watched a few videos. At first I'm pretty sure it was one tensioner for both heads but the new products appear to provide separate top/bottom tension, which IMO is a big step forward. I will add that personally, I like to tighten snare side lugs tighter at the 4 points where the snare beds are, and I don't think this technology would work in that respect.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

That’s something I’d be very interested in. I can’t help but wonder, though, whether they’re priced out of the reach of the very demographic that would be most likely to want them: middle-leaguers (like myself) who play enough to want—and will pay for—good equipment, but don’t feel like they’ve ever satisfactorily mastered the somewhat-arcane art of drum tuning. On the other hand, I can imagine the kinds of pros who can justify spending $1,500 on a snare drum being indifferent to—or even disdainful of—this sort of thing. And that’s unfortunate, because this looks like a really good idea.
Tone attorney formerly known as Tom Lael is Dogs.

That drum reminds me of the "boa" system on my snowboard boots as well as my cycling shoes. It's super nice although I do hope I never have to change or replace them....although the snare video suggests I maybe shouldn't be so intimidated. I mean if it's easy enough a drummer can do it...

The even distribution of the tension via one system I think is the cool part. I could see this being a go-to snare for a higher-end studio if you aren't a drummer and need a snare on hand that you can tune yourself. I'd also think they'd want to get into full kit w/toms as that might give the real tweak-heads the chance to tune their drums easily to specific notes.

Beyond that, I'm not as stoked about the ability to be changing tuning during a performance or mid-song or whatever. It's also a LOT of mass on the drum itself which suggests to me that there'd have to be at least some dampening going on which honestly is probably not a big deal since snares are almost always plenty gd loud anyway.

I dunno, it's not for me, but it's still interesting.

yeah the Sounds Like a Drum channel has demo'd several of those systems. The only usable scenario (outside of joining a cover band that does both americana and skacore songs I guess..) would be if the drums really need to be in sync with differing keys of songs on the spot. But that probably doesn't apply to most of the music we listen to or play (or matter with shitty rock club acoustics).
Music