Re: Why isn't there an artist friendly Spotify alternative?

sparky wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:37 am I am unhappy about Bandcamp being bought by Epic Games, confident that they will eventually ruin it.
I got that email while I was at work, lol. Bandcamp works really well and I love when I get one of those "Cha ching!" emails that I just sold a download. Way better than the update that I've made exactly $0.00072 cents from one stream on Spotify. I use CD Baby btw for that.

My only issue with Bandcamp is the design/layout and the way they promote different music isn't engaging at all. It's kind of flat and uninspired.

Back in the days, there was a consistency to PureVolume and MySpace in terms of getting your band on the main page, and the ensuing uptick in plays. If Bandcamp was more like that, it would really be popping. Maybe I could daydream about getting my stuff on the main page and potentially making a few grand one day. With the way Bandcamp is now, they want you to fulfill some sort of image before they'll promote you, and it's based on profile completedness, and pre-existing fanbase more or less. Just my opinion.

YouTube Music is definitely "Pay to Play" at this point also. You need 3 delivered releases and a music video to even get an Artist page. That's like $250 minimum cost.

brephophagist wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:14 pm Mike Sugarman (shorter) and Future of Music Coalition (longer) summed up my feelings re: Bandcamp well.
The FoMC posts cover the situation pretty well, I think. From my point of view, as someone who lives roughly in between the cities of San Francisco and San Jose yet still somehow at least 20 miles from any worthwhile record store, Bandcamp remains the best option for getting artists paid when I buy music. As long as the revenue split remains fair and people get paid in a timely fashion, that will likely continue being the case.

The steam went out of the file sharing movement. The Pirate Party received 7%+ (2 seats) of the EU vote within months of being formed, but they were isolated. Naturally they had scorn heaped on them from all directions. The established left had no idea what to do with them. The discourse was captured under formulations of being a question of convenience (instead of you know, all that other stuff). The energy was territorialized into iTunes store and then Spotify. The end and everybody was happy.

Of course, it was partly a question of convenience. I think nourishing the superego instinct that legal=good is not insignificant either. Now you have the option of getting the same thing as before, with the same low effort, except legally. That's good, right? (also you have to pay for what you just got for free. and creators are still getting screwed. but that's the quiet part.)

Why isn't there now though? I dunno, laziness? Lack of ideas?
born to give