Re: Politics

He did a backhanded deal behind the backs of the Afghan government, promising the Taliban they could have the country after the US election if they didn't kill any Americans between now and then. The head of the Afghan forces has said Trump essentially doomed the country at that moment.

Anthony Flack wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:39 pm He did a backhanded deal behind the backs of the Afghan government, promising the Taliban they could have the country after the US election if they didn't kill any Americans between now and then. The head of the Afghan forces has said Trump essentially doomed the country at that moment.
I've heard this, too. I still don't understand one thing, though. If the deal was really that egregious, Biden should have been able to renege on it, no? I mean, he's the frickin' President of the USA.

How many deals did Trump renege on?
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

Anthony Flack wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:16 pm Their Afghanistan withdrawal investigation should be interesting, being that every element of Afghan government's sudden collapse leads back to Trump.
Sure but they're not actually interested in facts, just things they can pin under Biden's watch. Even then it's tricky, because as bad as the withdrawal (and aftermath) was, most Americans wanted to be done with Afghanistan 3 presidents ago.
Music

penningtron wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:58 am
Anthony Flack wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:16 pm Their Afghanistan withdrawal investigation should be interesting, being that every element of Afghan government's sudden collapse leads back to Trump.
Sure but they're not actually interested in facts, just things they can pin under Biden's watch. Even then it's tricky, because as bad as the withdrawal (and aftermath) was, most Americans wanted to be done with Afghanistan 3 presidents ago.
Yeah, that's pretty much the essence of it. It feels like that's all that they have on Biden - identifying things that weren't done particularly well (versus the investigations of Trump for things that were, you know, horribly unethical and unconstitutional).
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

jfv wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:49 am If the deal was really that egregious, Biden should have been able to renege on it, no?
It was politically impossible at that point. Even if he could unstab in the back all America's Afghan allies, and somehow rebuild the 20 years of progress that Trump had thrown in the toilet like so many top secret briefing notes, Biden wasn't going to blow all his political capital keeping the US in Afghanistan after the deal had been done. He managed to push the date back by a month or two and he even took a hammering for that. I'd like to know how they were meant to handle that shit show any better.

It's just one of the ways the fat orange cunt has caused global suffering to millions. Trump is like that guy who invented CFCs and leaded petrol, but for women's rights.

Anthony Flack wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:20 am There was a generation of university-educated women living and working in Kabul who have seen all social progress in their lifetimes wiped out to serve Trump's short term interests, no small thing.
Fair enough, I hope most of them ran, but I'm still unconvinced that Trump's four year stint is anything more than a blip on the legacy of ratfucking this place has endured. My point being that I find it offensive to be so reductive towards the monumentally detrimental effects of the endless opportunistic warring and proxy-warring the first world is complicit in order to make one idiot look even worse. And that includes Biden, too. But feel free to assign blame for the shitty withdrawal hot-potato as desired.