Re: Micro-reviews of Gear You Just Bought

Yamaha FX500

I bought this specifically because of the Soft Focus patch and slowdive talk recently, but I'll be damned if there aren't some other useful sounds in there. Yeah, most of the distortions are dogshit, but the modulation and delay stuff sounds pretty good. I'll have some fun goofing around with patches on a small LCD for a bit.

This micro-review brought to you by the year 1990.

TylerDeadPine wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:07 pm
DaveA wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:21 pm Just duckin' in to say . . . The Paranormal XII is damn swell. Zero complaints. Pickups do indeed sound great. Fretboard very playable. Build quality is sturdy. Nice instrument all around. And good bang for one's buck.
One of us, One of us. I've been shocked at how well mine is staying in tune even without doing any work on the nut - I love this headstock.
Yesterday friend was telling me he just got a new guitar and I asked it it was the Paranormal XII and it totally was. His neighbor dug it so much he bought one the next day.

Really feeling I need to get one of these!
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

tallchris wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:02 pm
TylerDeadPine wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:07 pm
DaveA wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:21 pm Just duckin' in to say . . . The Paranormal XII is damn swell. Zero complaints. Pickups do indeed sound great. Fretboard very playable. Build quality is sturdy. Nice instrument all around. And good bang for one's buck.
One of us, One of us. I've been shocked at how well mine is staying in tune even without doing any work on the nut - I love this headstock.
Yesterday friend was telling me he just got a new guitar and I asked it it was the Paranormal XII and it totally was. His neighbor dug it so much he bought one the next day.

Really feeling I need to get one of these!
Bunch of my co-workers have been loving it. One went from "For what reason in hell do you need a 12 string" to "Jesus I want this" .

If that Squier XII had come out 18 months earlier I wouldn't have built my own 12 string, that's for sure. No complaints whatsoever about mine (maple Warmoth neck, Hondo Lead I body, single firebird pickup, Gotoh bridge and tuners), it plays great and was a fun project, but damn I wanted a hockey stick headstock.
Radio show https://www.wmse.org/program/the-tom-wa ... xperience/
My band https://redstuff.bandcamp.com/
Solo project https://tomwanderer.bandcamp.com/

Basically the only problem I can see with the Paranormal XII is that there doesn't seem to be a hard case that will accommodate its unusual combination of contours. There's that Ibanez case mentioned on Sweetwater, which would do in a pinch, but it isn't quite sturdy enough to be stacked/packed in tight with heavier gear in a van--it seems just a little too flimsy to withstand the kind of shocks/pressure that might occur while suddenly braking in traffic. I phoned Fender directly a couple of weeks back and they recommended a hard case of theirs intended for a short-scale/Bronco thing, but the Paranormal XII's body is too wide for it.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

New Novel.

DaveA wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:25 am Basically the only problem I can see with the Paranormal XII is that there doesn't seem to be a hard case that will accommodate its unusual combination of contours. There's that Ibanez case mentioned on Sweetwater, which would do in a pinch, but it isn't quite sturdy enough to be stacked/packed in tight with heavier gear in a van--it seems just a little too flimsy to withstand the kind of shocks/pressure that might occur while suddenly braking in traffic. I phoned Fender directly a couple of weeks back and they recommended a hard case of theirs intended for a short-scale/Bronco thing, but the Paranormal XII's body is too wide for it.
Seems very silly to recommend a $270 gig bag to schlep around a $450 guitar, but: I've got mine in the Mono Sleeve that I use for my regular Jazzmasters (which has been stuffed haphazardly into many a trunk/van/plane/etc.) and the tip of the XII headstock is pushing its limits pretty hard. The Vertigo is half an inch longer, though, and would likely be a great fit.