Barack Obama Shouldn t Run in 08

Skronk wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:
You really think they are smart enough to figure out how to vote? You have to know your social security number. Also, I think you have to wear shoes in the polling office. That cancels out about 75% of them right there.
Their time is over. They are finished.

What makes you think they're finished? There aren't enough liberals to silence the pro-jesus, stuck-in-the-closet, paranoid-about-gays-and-the-rise of-satan to rid the polling places.

That's why punks, hippies and new wavers should unite.
spaghetti

Minotaur029 wrote:
Rick Reuben wrote:I'l be watching you eat your words all through the Obama presidency, Warmowski, if it comes to pass. I'll ask you every day to tell me when Obama is repealing the Patriot Act and scaling back the DHS and rescinding those martial law executive orders.

Obama has said that one of the first things he will do in office is get a team together to go through all the civil liberties that were deliberately eroded over the course of the Bush II Administration, and return said liberties.

I think there is reason to believe that he will actually do this.

Think again.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/ ... index.html

Thank you for posting that, Johnny 13. A really good article.

This particular quote seems quite appropriate 'round here:
The excuse that Obama's support for this bill is politically shrewd is -- even if accurate -- neither a defense of what he did nor a reason to refrain from loudly criticizing him for it. Actually, it's the opposite. It's precisely because Obama is calculating that he can -- without real consequence -- trample upon the political values of those who believe in the Constitution and the rule of law that it's necessary to do what one can to change that calculus. Telling Obama that you'll cheer for him no matter what he does, that you'll vest in him Blind Faith that anything he does is done with the purest of motives, ensures that he will continue to ignore you and your political interests.

Beyond that, this attitude that we should uncritically support Obama in everything he does and refrain from criticizing him is unhealthy in the extreme. No political leader merits uncritical devotion -- neither when they are running for office nor when they occupy it -- and there are few things more dangerous than announcing that you so deeply believe in the Core Goodness of a political leader, or that we face such extreme political crises that you trust and support whatever your Leader does, even when you don't understand it or think that it's wrong. That's precisely the warped authoritarian mindset that defined the Bush Movement and led to the insanity of the post-9/11 Era, and that uncritical reverence is no more attractive or healthy when it's shifted to a new Leader.
"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

Rick Reuben wrote:It was disbanded in 1913, and then the sale was completed in 1933.

Did I read about this in New World Order? Is this when they created the Federal Reserve?

Christopher J. McGarvey wrote:Fuck yeah!
I say we go get drunk and kick Michigan's ass.

I'm halfway there (drunkwise) and have always had a strange relationship with Michigan, so I'd be all for this.
I've seen the bridges burning in the night.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say this since I opened this thread and now Obama is the democratic nominee:

I think he's come a long way. And, I have to say, convinced me that he is the best candidate the democratic party could have put forward, though I would still love to see a Gore/Edwards ticket (ah, too late!). When he talks, he doesn't sound like a bullshit artist, which I think is extremely refreshing in 2008. Also, he puts up a good fight against the other side, which is also extremely refreshing in 2008. He's got some smart policies, the one's I've read about.

He will never be perfect, he will never be exactly what we all wish for, on any side of the political spectrum. He's a politician, let's not forget that. But he's not a complete, utter failure and embarrassment like our current president.
Builder/Destroyer | Highwheel Records