RIP George Carlin.

enframed wrote:seinfeld on carlin

I clicked on this thinking "what kind of justice could Jerry goddamn Seinfeld do to George Carlin?" And here it is in the NY Times:

Jerry Seinfeld wrote:You could certainly say that George downright invented modern American stand-up comedy in many ways.

I'm trying to think of a worse sentence than this. Read that sentence.

Celebrated sitcom writer and innovator of inane humor, Jerry Seinfeld. Jesus H.

RIP George Carlin.

Andrew. wrote:
enframed wrote:seinfeld on carlin

I clicked on this thinking "what kind of justice could Jerry goddamn Seinfeld do to George Carlin?" And here it is in the NY Times:

Jerry Seinfeld wrote:You could certainly say that George downright invented modern American stand-up comedy in many ways.

I'm trying to think of a worse sentence than this. Read that sentence.

Celebrated sitcom writer and innovator of inane humor, Jerry Seinfeld. Jesus H.

What's wrong with that sentence?

Have you listened to Carlin? Most of his bits were hair splitting over the meaning of words, farts, and everyday things (like the meanings of words and farts). Think about it: That's what comedy is, the sudden revealing of obvious but often unnoticed truths.

Maybe I just don't follow your meaning.
Our band.

Strauss.

RIP George Carlin.

Lemuel Gulliver wrote:What's wrong with that sentence?

Have you listened to Carlin? Most of his bits were hair splitting over the meaning of words, farts, and everyday things (like the meanings of words and farts).

The reason those bits worked so well was that Carlin knew how to construct a bulletproof sentence when it counted. Which, in comedy, is most of the time.

I agree with Andrew - too many useless words cluttering that sentence.

Not that it matters. Carlin > Seinfeld.