Re: PRF Members Tech Journal

thecr4ne wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:17 am I'm about to dig out the glue covering the screws that hold the capsule together and pull the diaphragm off to see if there's an obvious issue there, but I'm starting to think the diaphragm coil is shot altogether. We'll see.
Try bypassing the filter board by connecting an XLR directly to the capsule to see if you get anything.

I had an extremely pleasant interaction with a service tech today, which honestly feels noteworthy. I picked up a pair of Drawmer 1960 preamp/comps a while ago from a studio that was downsizing for a great price, but they're in dire need of some service/calibration/etc. Found a guy local to me who specializes in working on these particular boxes (he's mostly retired, but his main thing is building these extremely nice, high-zoot compressors: https://www.airfieldaudio.com/liminator.html ), and dropped them off. I'm always fearing the worst in these situations ("these are garbage, you should buy nicer stuff"), but he was lovely and the interaction was great.

It was nice to meet someone who seemed genuinely enthusiastic about taking on work, and despite focusing mostly on stuff that exists way way way beyond my pay grade, being very cool about the 1960s ("with a few upgrades these are honestly as good as anything else, and fantastic master bus comps"). I think for the money I'm going to spend on getting them tuned up, I'll still be well under fair market value for stock ones, so I'm pretty happy. He was adamant that he'd get them turned around within 2 weeks, too, which seemed insane to me.

Took the occasion of using a car share for the afternoon to take my dog to the beach and buy a radial reamp box off the local buy and sell group. Solid day.

Owen wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:59 pm I took the amp back to the tech. The tech was not in, but I spoke to the owner. He was apologetic, I know shit happens, and they seem like they are going to take care of it and fast track it for me. They didnt even try to place blame on me, which I have had happen at other places.
I am not saying this is the case, but this place is being a little weird about my amp, just communication has turned vague and I am starting to get nervous they really fucked something up. IF for example, they blew the OT of my vintage Orange, what are my options? Can I demand them to give me the cost of the amp? Like if they offer to make it right be putting a new OT, that still degrades the value of my amp significantly. I am not in this position yet (and I HOPE it is not the case and they are just busy or its something simple), but I have never been in that position and would love to prepare myself for the worst.
guitar in - weaklungband.bandcamp.com/

I don't say this to dismiss your feelings, but maybe just to assuage your anxiety... amps can be strange and finicky sometimes and getting the amp to replicate a problem that's happening in a customer's house/practice space/studio in the maybe-slightly-more-controlled/ideal circumstances of a tech's workshop can be tricky. I had a similar situation a couple years ago where my amp started blowing fuses for no apparent reason, I brought it in for a tune up, it checked out a-ok, but the problem persisted. I had to bring it back three times before they figured out what was happening... the chassis/amp was *out* of the enclosure when they were testing it, and when it went back into the enclosure, a slightly-too-long mounting screw was causing an arc across the standby switch which was immediately blowing the fuse. They changed the screw and it's never happened again.

So, it could be something that's frustrating on their end, or they haven't had time to get to it since it's only been 2 or 3 days and they're trying to finish up another project that maybe went sideways on its own, or who knows. But I would just caution against jumping to "they blew up my OT" immediately so that you're not bringing that ~ v i b e ~ to the table when it could just be something innocuous. Like, I have literally never encountered a repair shop that was accurate in time estimates or proactively communicative about status in my life.

mdc wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:41 am I don't say this to dismiss your feelings, but maybe just to assuage your anxiety... amps can be strange and finicky sometimes and getting the amp to replicate a problem that's happening in a customer's house/practice space/studio in the maybe-slightly-more-controlled/ideal circumstances of a tech's workshop can be tricky. I had a similar situation a couple years ago where my amp started blowing fuses for no apparent reason, I brought it in for a tune up, it checked out a-ok, but the problem persisted. I had to bring it back three times before they figured out what was happening... the chassis/amp was *out* of the enclosure when they were testing it, and when it went back into the enclosure, a slightly-too-long mounting screw was causing an arc across the standby switch which was immediately blowing the fuse. They changed the screw and it's never happened again.

So, it could be something that's frustrating on their end, or they haven't had time to get to it since it's only been 2 or 3 days and they're trying to finish up another project that maybe went sideways on its own, or who knows. But I would just caution against jumping to "they blew up my OT" immediately so that you're not bringing that ~ v i b e ~ to the table when it could just be something innocuous. Like, I have literally never encountered a repair shop that was accurate in time estimates or proactively communicative about status in my life.
100% agree with what you are saying. I work in a similar field and I have repaired something and thought it was 100% perfect and after handing it over, I get back an hour later, with the same problem and it was some weird thing like your screw issue. I get that. I also understand workload, so when I brought it back I was very understanding and told them I understood shit happens, that I didnt have any gigs coming up, didnt need it back lightning fast.

Part of my anxiety comes from I have been using the same dude almost my entire adult life and this is the first time going to someone new in a real long while, and as soon as dropped it off two friends said they had issues regarding repairs there (guitars, not amps, so), put me on my guard, and then when it came back and the fuse blew made my guard go up. Again, the rational part of my brain knows it is most likely something funky they missed and it will be fine, and I really should relax, but I have never had to deal with a place if they really fucked up (like blowing an OT) and not having the experience of dealing with that IF it did happen makes me more anxious.
guitar in - weaklungband.bandcamp.com/

Due to the talk of Re-20 repair I opened up my PL-20 that was replaced with a Re-20 capsule years ago. I was let down becuase everything was right and there where no problems.
"There's a felling I get when I look to the west"
"When the meaningful words. When they cease to function. When there's nothing to say."

Trying to get my RE20 in for repair has been tedious. The wheels are turning, but so slowly. It took a week and multiple inquiries just to get a quote. They're charging $285 now, BTW, which is the exact price I could get a used one for right now. I'm gonna go for the repair though. As I said, this one has some engraving on the case that I'm rather attached too and it will be nice to know that it's been factory serviced, tested, etc. But the communication leaves a lot to be desired. It seems as though the person I'm emailing can only respond between 11-11:30am, so I get one communique per day. And that response brings up another question, which in turn won't be answered for at least another day. I am thankful that the service is still offered at all, but so far the process leaves a lot to be desired.
Radio show https://www.wmse.org/program/the-tom-wa ... xperience/
My band https://redstuff.bandcamp.com/
Solo project https://tomwanderer.bandcamp.com/