Poll ended at Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:03 pm You may select 1 option

Crap: Your big night just got smaller
Total votes: 18 (69%)
Not Crap: You don't cut a man's wife like that
Total votes: 8 (31%)
Total votes: 26

Re: Crap/Not Crap: Will Smith assaulting Chris Rock on stage at the Oscars

numberthirty wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:08 pm
pldms wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:55 am If Jada had slapped him this would all be much simpler, and many columnist would have something better to do.
From the little bit of the "Big Picture..." that I have accidentally caught?

She does not roll that way. She is apparently the "Hurt 'Em Mentally..." type.
Hahahahahaha.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

ChudFusk wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:38 am But Jada is a constant target for harassment, including from Chris Rock,
I don't know a lot about her, but isn't she a "target" the same way Gwyneth Paltrow and Tom Cruise are?

I know Chris made a joke about her and Will 6 years ago. Is that what you mean? That one was funny. The one about boycotting Rihannas panties? The core of it was him mocking her and Will's inflated egos and sense of entitlement.

Will Smith's publicist had him apologise to Chris while condemning his own actions/violence. I'm not sure where that leaves everyone saying he did the righteous honest thing and is the hero of the world.
Last edited by Happyman on Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChudFusk wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:38 am
andyman wrote:So, hitting people is ok?
You tell me.

You gonna tell that man that hitting the racist was not OK?

Minstrel shows were once "just a joke." Change doesn't happen until people are too scared not to change, and if all it takes is a slap then I'd say it's a slap well spent. For the record, I don't think women need protection from words, or that violence is always the solution to hurt feelings. But Jada is a constant target for harassment, including from Chris Rock, and this was the biggest platform on which Will Smith could have made it clear not to fuck with her any more. Yes he should have done that with words, but bullies rarely respond to reason.

Here's another black person's perspective on this, which some of you need to hear because I'm definitely seeing a culturally uhmm *narrow* perspective.

Aaron Davis - VIOLENCE, BULLYING AND BEING BLACK IN AMERICA
When all else fails, race.

You win.

^ Man, that shit gets complicated. As I read one guy's take I felt a little skeptical that anyone would describe Smith's reaction as the "black" thing to do. Then I saw all of the white guys commenting the same on the guy's post, which doesn't work very well.

I still think it gets tricky when someone sources one POC take on something. I can imagine a second voice countering "Maybe in your house, not mine" etc.

I will say cultural explanations for violence seem to take away some individual agency.

This explains to me why this kind of event becomes a phenomenon. It's a pop culture exercise in ethics, social science etc.

losthighway wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:57 am ^ Man, that shit gets complicated. As I read one guy's take I felt a little skeptical that anyone would describe Smith's reaction as the "black" thing to do. Then I saw all of the white guys commenting the same on the guy's post, which doesn't work very well.

I still think it gets tricky when someone sources one POC take on something. I can imagine a second voice countering "Maybe in your house, not mine" etc.

I will say cultural explanations for violence seem to take away some individual agency.

This explains to me why this kind of event becomes a phenomenon. It's a pop culture exercise in ethics, social science etc.
Yeah, I don't buy the "This is how we do it" line either. That kind of reasoning can be used to excuse any kind of behavior that otherwise ought not be accepted or tolerated.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

ernietaintsniffer wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:32 am
ChudFusk wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:38 am
andyman wrote:So, hitting people is ok?
You tell me.

You gonna tell that man that hitting the racist was not OK?

Minstrel shows were once "just a joke." Change doesn't happen until people are too scared not to change, and if all it takes is a slap then I'd say it's a slap well spent. For the record, I don't think women need protection from words, or that violence is always the solution to hurt feelings. But Jada is a constant target for harassment, including from Chris Rock, and this was the biggest platform on which Will Smith could have made it clear not to fuck with her any more. Yes he should have done that with words, but bullies rarely respond to reason.

Here's another black person's perspective on this, which some of you need to hear because I'm definitely seeing a culturally uhmm *narrow* perspective.

Aaron Davis - VIOLENCE, BULLYING AND BEING BLACK IN AMERICA
When all else fails, race.

You win.
How to say you're racist without saying you're racist
Escape Rope / Black Mesa / Inflatable Sex Babies