Re: Politics

https://www.motherjones.com/environment ... d-animals/

Mike Johnson is ofc a climate denier as well as an election denier, two staple positions of the modern day MAGA party. Doesn't matter how friendly of a family man and Jesus believer he is. He's a liar and a hypocrite. Anyone who fails to call out Trump on his racism and xenophobia is complicit by their silence.

Now he's also seemingly reversing his previous positions on overturning Obergefell and instituting a national abortion ban. So a lot of people in the Christian community are going to view him as a liar and hypocrite as well:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/10/2 ... r-00123925

Welcome to Washington DC, where impeaching Biden is the top priority of a majority in the House. Insanity.

And outside of the house, the machinations of evil continue unabated.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... BjddXL60QA

The Koch network, a web of rightwing groups cultivated by billionaire businessman Charles Koch and his late brother David Koch, is spearheading the attack on federal agencies and government regulations that dominates the US supreme court agenda this term.

The network has been working behind the scenes to bring cases before the court that, if successful, could undermine many of the core functionings of the US government.
Dave N. wrote:Most of us are here because we’re trying to keep some spark of an idea from going out.

Couple of years from now you may not even have a functioning government. Seems hard to contemplate, but to misquote Hemingway, change comes gradually, then suddenly.

Sometimes I find myself wondering whether Donald Trump might actually be the end of the United States. This pathetic, mediocre, lazy, cowardly, contemptible fart of a man, with no talent or wisdom and barely any inclination to make an effort could be the one who finally fucks everything. And not just the United States. Human civilisation itself may be coming to an end gradually, then suddenly.

And it angers me that this booger, this human skidmark, so unworthy of even being a third-rate television celebrity, now sits at at the fulcrum of human history.

I bet there were plenty of people in 1930s Germany going "Hitler, are you kidding me? That guy sucks!"

Who needs evil geniuses when the world can be taken over by evil morons?

Anthony Flack wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:16 pm And it angers me that this booger, this human skidmark, so unworthy of even being a third-rate television celebrity, now sits at at the fulcrum of human history.

I bet there were plenty of people in 1930s Germany going "Hitler, are you kidding me? That guy sucks!"

Who needs evil geniuses when the world can be taken over by evil morons?
I spend entirely too much time contemplating how so many people of reasonable intelligence (they're not all idiots) fail to see the blowhard, the con man, the boss's kid come to practice giving orders at the office, the guy you know for certain is going to get rightfully punched in the face at the bar before it closes.

There are a lot of threads to try and answer that mystery but I'm less convinced it has something to do with economic anxiety with each passing year.

It's just so hard to look at so many people's hero and see only garbage. Who are they to love this man? Here is an emperor with no clothes.

losthighway wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:30 pm I like that my home town of Denver is holding the first test trial to see if Trump can be removed from the ballot based on the 14th Amendment.
Hopefully California, New York, and Illinois will follow suit. That’d put a big dent in his delegate count during the primaries.

I know, more wishful thinking.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

losthighway wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:18 pm
Curry Pervert wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:46 pm So apparently the new house speaker blames school shootings on teaching evolution and abortion.

Does the GOP have anybody sane left?
And he's an election denier.

They also say he's a really nice guy.
Who seemingly does not have a bank account

I want to live out the rest of my years as a hermit in a remote Irish forest. Call myself Bernard. Die happy.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell