Obscure Mathrock

Mouthpiece wrote:Maybe someone can help me.

A couple of years ago, while ordering Hold Your Horse Is from the Frenetic website I stumbled onto a review of another mathy band called Mechakucha. The review described their sound something along the lines of little electrical storms inside your headphones. I was intrigued and I ordered the record on a whim. I was not disappointed.

Since then I have been finding it difficult to learn anything about this band. Do they have a new release I could purchase? Do they even still play? All mysteries that google cannot solve for me.

Any information would be appreciated.

I just listened to One Million Safe Hours by this Mechakucha today for the first time and I was similarly impressed. I found these items in my own google search:

An Interview: http://www.wweek.com/html/mcolumn021600.html

Electric guitar experimenter John Krausbauer is known for his current projects: the 100 Flowers Ensemble (w/Caryl Kientz & me, Joe Foster) as well as Blood Blood, and Mechakucha and Htoo.

The 100 Flowers Ensemble is:
100 Flowers Ensemble is Carrol Rico (violin), John Krausbauer (guitar), Joe Foster (cornet).

Htoo is described like this:
Open Music Workshop presents
Htoo Trio / Chorus Taught to Pitch
Seattle, CoCA, 1420 11th Ave, 4 pm, $5, all ages.
"Portland's Htoo Trio is John Krausbauer (guitar), Mark Kaylor (drums), Leif Erik Sundstrom (drums), and Bryan Eubanks (tenor/soprano saxophones, stuff). Free music in solos and collaborations. Htoo has been active in the Portland free music community for two years and specifically Kaylor, Krausbauer, and Eubanks have been developing a group vocabulary consistently over that time. We love to make music, and so does Leif, who is joining us for the West Coast tour."

So, essentially, I found next to nothing. I am enjoying the album, though.
Thanks for the tip.