Not Crap: You don't cut a man's wife like that
Total votes: 8 (31%)
Total votes: 26

Re: Crap/Not Crap: Will Smith assaulting Chris Rock on stage at the Oscars

ChudFusk wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:55 am
ernietaintsniffer wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:32 am
ChudFusk wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:38 am

You tell me.

You gonna tell that man that hitting the racist was not OK?

Minstrel shows were once "just a joke." Change doesn't happen until people are too scared not to change, and if all it takes is a slap then I'd say it's a slap well spent. For the record, I don't think women need protection from words, or that violence is always the solution to hurt feelings. But Jada is a constant target for harassment, including from Chris Rock, and this was the biggest platform on which Will Smith could have made it clear not to fuck with her any more. Yes he should have done that with words, but bullies rarely respond to reason.

Here's another black person's perspective on this, which some of you need to hear because I'm definitely seeing a culturally uhmm *narrow* perspective.

Aaron Davis - VIOLENCE, BULLYING AND BEING BLACK IN AMERICA
When all else fails, race.

You win.
How to say you're racist without saying you're racist
I stand corrected. You had one more card up your sleeve.

I don't like the roasting thing (saying "culture" would be an overstatement) and the fact that saying mean and harmful stuff is ok or even more - desirable because 'this is what we do here'. So somebody getting slapped because of poking fun at somebody's medical condition in front of everyone would be generally ok with me even if strong verbal stance would be better. However, those are the oscars and I'm not interested one bit into investing time into how somebody recated, was it at least partially stage, etc. Balls to all of it.

ernietaintsniffer wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:55 am
ernietaintsniffer wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:32 am

When all else fails, race.

You win.
You're hella boring and the only thing fun about you is that you have no idea what point you're trying to make. Just gesticulating inarticulately towards "race" as some kind of obviously un-based thing that anyone with your "sensibilities" would understand, except that nobody here is triggered like you are.
Escape Rope / Black Mesa / Inflatable Sex Babies

andyman wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:37 am
tonyballzee wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:33 pm I like Chris Rock, but he disrespected a man's wife in a room full of his peers and TV viewers worldwide. Will Smith probably didn't care but his wife did so he had to do something. He just smacked him, he didn't punch his lights out.
So, hitting people is ok?

I honestly don't give a fuck about the oscars or any of these idiots, but it genuinely makes me sad and uncomfortable that grown adults think hitting people is fine when words would probably do a better job.
I don't give a shit about Hollywood stars either and no, hitting people is not OK, but when one millionaire does it to another millionaire in front of a worldwide audience ... hey, good times and great TV. Does anyone actually look to Will Smith for examples on how to behave like an adult?
https://thegemshow.bandcamp.com/album/a-mountain-2
https://spitegeist.bandcamp.com/
https://wandajunes.bandcamp.com/

tonyballzee wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:20 amDoes anyone actually look to Will Smith for examples on how to behave like an adult?
Not only that, but re: "it sets a bad precedent!", Dimebag Darrell was shot to death on stage in 2004. Who can we blame that on? Will Smith was busy making Shark Tale. My point is, the precedent was blown the fuck to pieces almost 2 decades ago.
Escape Rope / Black Mesa / Inflatable Sex Babies

ChudFusk wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:06 pm
ernietaintsniffer wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:55 am

You're hella boring and the only thing fun about you is that you have no idea what point you're trying to make. Just gesticulating inarticulately towards "race" as some kind of obviously un-based thing that anyone with your "sensibilities" would understand, except that nobody here is triggered like you are.
I didn’t bring up race, just rolled my eyes at it. Some other kid did it.

Boring: move on.

It does seem to me that everybody jumped from the Smiths (not the band) taking offense to assuming what Chris Rock said was actually in poor taste. It wasn't a fucking "roast". It was a bit of weak "try the veal" comedy patter. Oh, the actress got a buzz cut, like in that old movie GI Jane, so fucking what. That's not a malicious comment. Oh but she's sensitive about it so now it's a terrible thing he did, cue five thousand think-pieces on the intersection of race, gender and disability.