Bush - Glycerine
Total votes: 2 (4%)
Live - Lightning Crashes
Total votes: 16 (33%)
Everclear - Santa Monica
Total votes: 4 (8%)
Total votes: 49

Re: Worst Mid-90's Mega-Hit

Kniferide wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:26 pm Dude, it is absolutely that Sex and Candy song. I that that shit so much.
That weirdly non-confrontational, cloud puff of a vaguely alt/lite rock song was released in 1997. I was in highschool. For roughly two decades, every single time I was in my dad's car it would come on his fucking AOR radio station. For years. They must have played it 10 times a day. I can't even understand how such an anonymous song was so ubiquitous in that little niche.

Every time I hear it I feel like my old man is about to explain something obvious for way too long.

losthighway wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:20 pm
Kniferide wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:26 pm Dude, it is absolutely that Sex and Candy song. I that that shit so much.
That weirdly non-confrontational, cloud puff of a vaguely alt/lite rock song was released in 1997. I was in highschool. For roughly two decades, every single time I was in my dad's car it would come on his fucking AOR radio station. For years. They must have played it 10 times a day. I can't even understand how such an anonymous song was so ubiquitous in that little niche.

Every time I hear it I feel like my old man is about to explain something obvious for way too long.
Triggered!!!
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

penningtron wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:39 pm The first few years of the pandemic, there were lots of porch hangs, and a common activity was getting drunk and trying to out-cringe each other with the worst '90s music possible. There's a LOT to choose from! We haven't even touched on Hootie and the Blowfish, Crazytown, Spin Doctors, Crash Test Dummies, etc etc. Y'all will be PLEADING for Bush by the time I'm done with ya..
Minor grumble...

Bush being a sorta half-baked Nirvana lift?

Massive bee in my bonnet even years later because Verbena built a better mouse trap out of that when that band recorded Into The Pink.

enframed wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:13 pm
rsmurphy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:40 pm
enframed wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:16 pm I love the video too, something about it. It's like my "Rosebud."
It's his sister! She's cute and fun to watch.

I appreciate Marc Costanzo's self-awareness:

Here’s the deal, when you have that kind of a quick single blowing up, you sell a million records in what, six months? When it goes that fast off one single, and you have no other singles — we knew there was no other single. We were surprised there was even one single. So we were looking at this whole bigger picture of what’s gonna happen next, and we knew it’s over in terms of generating more money from the rest of the album. So we just kind of backed out in terms of being public figures. We had 200 shows planned, and after 80 shows, we turned the tour bus around and went home. I went back to my house in BC and just hung out with my friends. We were just like, “We need to go home, I’m sick of this shit.” Our manager and the record label said, “You can’t do this.” And we’re like, “Well, we just did it.”
She's cute, yeah, but the whole video is just sweet.

That's great. Also this:

"The song's music video—which uses the shorter "album edit" of the song, as featured on the single—was jointly directed by Marc Costanzo and Bradley Walsh under the respective stage names "The Burger Pimp" and "B-Rad".[29] When Len had signed to Work Records, one of its demands was to be able to direct its own videos.[7] The group used a $100,000 budget to make the video. They flew to Daytona Beach, Florida[5] with two dozen friends while the area was crowded with people on their spring vacations. They spent much of the budget on alcohol, buying so much that they broke their hotel's elevator trying to lift it.[5] They shot the video in the afternoon so that they could recover from hangovers in the morning and drink in the evening. The scenes were shot without a script or storyboard."

Holy crap this was a popular tune worldwide. Look at all these mixes/versions.

UK CD1[32]
"Steal My Sunshine" (Album Edit) – 3:30
"It's Down to This" – 4:04
"Drunc'n Moves" – 2:55
UK CD2[33]
"Steal My Sunshine" – 4:08
"Steal My Sunshine" (Skyjump Club Edit) – 7:19
"Steal My Sunshine" (Version Idjut) – 7:51
UK 12-inch vinyl[34]
"Steal My Sunshine" (More and More Instrumental) – 6:45
"Steal My Sunshine" (Album Version) – 3:55
"Steal My Sunshine" (Bougie Soliterre Remix) – 6:12
"Steal My Sunshine" (Neon Phusion Remix) – 5:24
UK cassette single and European CD single[35][36]
"Steal My Sunshine" (Album Version) – 3:55
US 12-inch vinyl[37]
"Steal My Sunshine" (Steal My Club Mix) – 6:19
"Steal My Sunshine" (Steal My Club Mix Instrumental) – 6:19
"Steal My Sunshine" (More and More Instrumental) – 6:30
European maxi[38]
"Steal My Sunshine" (Album Edit) – 3:30
Australian maxi[39]
"Steal My Sunshine" (Album Version) – 4:01
Remixes, Vol. 1[40]
"Steal My Sunshine" (Junior Sanchez NJ Deep Mix) – 6:00
"Steal My Sunshine" (Alexander Technique Darksun Remix - Jnr Edit) – 5:21
"Steal My Sunshine" (Gina Turner Remix) – 4:50
"Steal My Sunshine" (Remastered Version) – 3:31
Remastered Anniversary Edition[41]
"Steal My Sunshine" (Remastered Anniversary Edition) – 3:21
"Steal My Sunshine" (Remastered Anniversary Edition Instrumental) – 3:47
California Realin' Remix[42]
"Steal My Sunshine" (California Realin' Remix) – 3:48
"Steal My Sunshine" (Instrumental) – 3:27

I almost feel like I should try and collect 'em all, just to be in the Guinness Book, or The Onion, or something.

Area Man has Largest Collection of "Steal My Sunshine" Releases
A long mix of nothing but these would be better than any Pearl Jam or Jane's Addiction album from the 90's.
Formerly LouisSandwich and LotharSandwich, but I can never recover passwords somehow.

A discussion I saw between Andy Schwartz (New York Rocker editor) and Joe Carducci (SST label manager; author) last weekend got me thinking: Say what you will about the atrocious '90s bullshit we've been dropping into this thread, but at very least, that stuff was all played by bands. Awful ones, granted. (Maybe the least offensive material would be pre-fame Goo Goo Dolls' Replacements-lite shtick? Or perhaps Bush's weak-sauce UK take on sellout, post-relevance American grunge?)

When contemplating "hit" music today, the talk I attended turned to the point made by this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... the-charts

There are almost no bands or duos on the charts anymore.

Basically, it's easier, cheaper, and more profitable (from a CEO standpoint) to mold and market the solo acts responsible for most music sales today compared to some unwieldy, compromise-laden, diverse group of people that might have found fame decades ago. Regardless of genre. Bands are messier for business and more democratic by design. And tech and social media have a lot to do w/the shift away from them towards a sort of shiny, totalitarian pop.

Even though things had been sliding this way for decades, the pandemic also forced people into more solitary music-making habits, and the band dynamic never really recovered. To boot, that suits the fact that most record labels are now part of entertainment and tech conglomerates that aren't staffed w/as many "music people" anymore. The net result is an entertainment product that has less of a push-pull quality, b/c it's more oriented to one person's (and/or the marketing department's) vision.

That said, I really wish this thread had not reminded me of the existence of two Live songs I hadn't thought about for at least 25 years.

I was recently listening to terrestrial rock radio in the Boston area. It was the same mix of classic rock, hair metal, and old butt rock that it's always been. These stations still play the shit out of these bands. I heard Live multiple times.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.