Recipe Submissions

A quick and easy one, also suited to the seafood in 30 secs thread -

Green-lipped mussels x lots, throw into pot of boiling water so the shells open, and be careful not to leave them in too long so they stay tender. Then, remove the top shell, place a blob of Butter+Garlic+Parsley crushed/chopped/mixed together on top, and grill in the half-shell until the chef can't wait to eat them. Eat with a Gewurztraminer and fresh bread.

So simple. So fine.

Recipe Submissions

My signature side: Semisweet potatoes

This is a recipe I made up, inspired by some mashed sweets I had in Charleston.

2 large baked sweet potatoes
3 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
lots of freshly grated nutmeg
some salt
quite a bit of coarse ground pepper
a bit of heavy cream for body and richness

This is the starting point. What you're looking for is an equal balance of sweetness (potatoes, syrup, nutmeg), tanginess (balsamic, salt), and spice (pepper, nutmeg). When you get the right balance, it is heaven. Perfect with grilled salmon or pork tenderloin and hot as fuck collard greens.
http://www.burningalphabet.com

Recipe Submissions

Thanks for reminding me of this Aeropagite -

3 x whole organic nutmeg
Ice cream
200ml milk

Put the nutmeg in a grinder/blender until powdered. Add to milkshake of choice.

You will be high for several days. It will tail off in strength over about a week. There is are side-effects - don't eat if pregnant and wishing to remain so, and after the event, the taste and smell of nutmeg can induce mild nausea. Greater doses can be pretty bad, don't apply the "more=higher" principle.
YMMV.

Recipe Submissions

Fat-making Greek crustless squash pie

1 squash (I like butternut, in Greece they use small pumpkins of the sort you can find around in the early fall)
1 large onion
12 oz of goat cheese, possibly some soft manouri as well

Cut the squash into 1/4"-1/2" thick slices, salt them lightly, then press as much moisture out of them as you can (I use a strainer and a dinner plate with a weight on top). After about 20 minutes, lay them out on an open sheet of newspaper and flower them lightly.

Cut the onion into thin slices.

Heat a pan to medium (I like a well-seasoned cast iron pan, but non-stick works - you probably don't want to use a steal pan because of sticking). Layer half of the slices of squash in the pan so that there aren't gaps. Give the pan a good shake to make sure nothing's sticking.

Throw the onions in on top and spread them around. Then do the same with the goat cheese. Put the second half of the squash on top of the whole thing, then put a lid on it (I use a dutch oven lid) and turn the heat down a touch. Shake the pan every so often.

After about 15-20 minutes, use a large plate or pizza pan to flip the cake and slide it back into the pan. The top should be lightly browned.

Give it another 5 or 10 in the pan to finish off the bottom, then flop it out on a plate. Cut it in slivers like a pie - so tasty.

The moisture from the onions is usually just the right amount of moisture to keep the squash from over cooking, but if it's looking a little dry when you flip it you should add a dash more, but don't over do it. The trick is to steam the majority of the ingredients and just brown the outside.

Recipe Submissions

They are still posting those deranged Heston Blumenthal recipes on the BBC website. Here is the Baked Alaska one:

Preparation time overnight

Cooking time 1 to 2 hours

In this recipe, Heston uses grams for both solid and liquid measurements for pinpoint accuracy. To weigh liquids, any suitable container can be placed on digital scales and the scales reset to zero.

Ingredients
For the cake (makes 2)
60g/2¼oz unsalted butter
30g/1oz Trex (available at supermarkets, Trex is a vegetable fat used for pastry and bread)
45g/1½oz vegetable oil
3 free-range eggs, separated
170g/6oz chlorinated flour, such as Softasilk (available through online shops)
200g/7oz caster sugar
pinch salt
½ tsp baking powder
100g/3½oz whole milk
For the chocolate tube
100g/3½oz white chocolate
For the raspberry sorbet
750g/1¼ pints frozen organic raspberries, thawed
85g/3oz fructose
2 tsp vodka
crushed dry ice
For the raspberry coulis
180g/6¼oz reserved raspberry purée
30g/1oz fructose
For the banana and praline parfait
115g/4¼oz skinless hazelnuts
375g/13¼oz caster sugar
500g/1lb 2oz very ripe bananas with brown skin
20g/¾oz butter
30g/1oz unrefined caster sugar
50g/1¾oz rum
375g/13¼oz double cream
6 free-range egg whites
For the Swiss meringue
This should be prepared just before serving the cake.
180g/6¼oz free-range egg whites
280g/10oz caster sugar
To finish the cake
200g/7oz reserved raspberry coulis
50g/1¾oz butter
1 reserved cake
1 jar Seville orange marmalade
reserved frozen parfait
Swiss meringue
300g/10½oz rum
reserved chocolate tube
reserved banana parfait

Method
You will need the following special equipment: food mixer, 1 acetate sheet, about 3kg/7lb dry ice, food processor, piping bag, sturdy plastic or cardboard, digital probe, blowtorch.

MAKING THE CAKE
This recipe makes two cakes. Only one is needed for the recipe; the second can be frozen for later use.
1. In a pan on medium heat, brown the butter until a very nutty aroma develops, then strain it to remove the solids. Allow to cool.
2. Place the Trex in a pan with the oil and reserved browned butter and warm until just melted.
3. Place the egg yolks into the bowl of a food mixer and slowly whisk in the warm fats until a mayonnaise-like emulsion forms. Refrigerate this until very cold.
4. In the meantime, sift together the flour, 100g/3½oz of the sugar, the salt and baking powder.
5. Swap the whisk for the paddle attachment and add the sifted ingredients to the cold egg yolk mixture. Beat on a slow speed for 15 seconds, or until the dry ingredients are incorporated.
6. Add the milk and mix on a slow speed for another 30 seconds, until the milk has combined with the batter, then beat on a high speed for four minutes.
7. Transfer the batter to another bowl and set aside. Wash the mixer bowl with soap and hot water to remove any traces of fat.
8. Place the egg whites in the mixer bowl and whisk on a high speed for one minute before adding 100g/3½oz of sugar. Reduce the speed to low/medium for 5-10 minutes. The mixture should be creamy with soft peaks.
9. Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3.
10. Using a large spatula, gently fold one-third of the meringue into the reserved batter. After this has been incorporated, add the remainder of the meringue and gently fold it into the loosened batter. There should be no streaks of white meringue left, but be careful not to overdo this or the cake won't be soft and light.
11. Pour 400g/14oz of this batter into each of two buttered and floured 20 x 5cm/8 x 2in loaf tins. Don't worry about levelling the surface - this will happen naturally during baking. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
12. Remove the cakes from the oven and bang them down on the work surface before turning them on to a wire rack to cool.
13. If being used right away, keep the cakes at room temperature. If not, cool completely, then wrap in several layers of cling film and freeze until needed.

MAKING THE CHOCOLATE TUBE
1. Cut an acetate sheet into a strip 15cm/6in wide and roll it into a tube with a diameter of 2cm/1in. Use tape to keep the tube from unrolling.
2. Place the chocolate in a pan over a bain-marie and heat gently until it's just melted and can be poured.
3. Wrap one end of the tube with cling film, then pour the chocolate into the other end until it's filled (a funnel will make this easier). Twist the tube to make sure the chocolate covers all of it. Hold the filled tube for about two minutes, then invert it to drain out the excess chocolate. Place the coated tube in the freezer to harden the chocolate.

MAKING THE RASPBERY SORBET
1. Purée the thawed raspberries in a food processor or blender. Pass the purée through a coarse sieve to remove the seeds.
2. Weigh out 625g/1lb 6¼oz of the purée and add to a bowl containing the fructose and vodka. Stir until the fructose has dissolved. At this point the sorbet base can be refrigerated until needed. Reserve the extra purée for finishing the dish.
3. To prepare the frozen sorbet, pour the raspberry base into the bowl of a food mixer and, using the paddle attachment, begin mixing it at a slow speed. Crush the dry ice by wrapping in a tea towel and beating with a rolling pin (watch your fingers). Slowly add spoonfuls of crushed dry ice. Continue mixing and adding dry ice a little at a time until the sorbet has frozen.
4. Scrape the sorbet into a piping bag and place in the freezer for about 20 minutes to harden slightly.
5. Use the piping bag to inject the sorbet into the chocolate tube. Return it to the freezer to harden. Any extra sorbet can be kept in the freezer in a sealed container.

MAKING THE RASPBERRY COULIS
1. Put the raspberry purée in a bowl, add the fructose and stir to dissolve. Set aside until serving the finished dish.

MAKING THE BANANA AND PRALINE PARFAIT
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2.
2. Place the hazelnuts into a roasting tray large enough to hold them in a single layer. Roast the hazelnuts until lightly golden-brown and very fragrant.
3. Tip the roasted hazelnuts into a frying pan on medium heat and add 115g/4¼oz of the sugar to the hot pan. Keep tossing the hazelnuts until the sugar becomes caramelised and coats them. Tip the caramelised nuts out on to greaseproof paper and let cool. Once they've cooled, smash or grind them into coarse pieces.
4. Peel the bananas and cut them into slices 1cm/½in thick.
5. Melt the butter in a pan, and when the foam has died down and the butter smells nutty, add the unrefined sugar. Stir with a spatula until a caramel forms.
6. Add the sliced bananas and sauté in the caramel.
7. When the bananas are coated and golden-brown, add the rum. As vapours start to rise from the pan, use a match to carefully light the alcohol, and continue to cook until the flame dies out and the caramel becomes thick enough to coat the bananas again.
8. Pass the caramelised banana mixture through a sieve and set aside.
9. Lightly whip the cream until it becomes thick, like yoghurt. Refrigerate until needed.
10. Using a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites on high speed until frothy then add about one-quarter of the remaining caster sugar. Reduce the mixer to medium speed and continue whisking while slowly adding the remainder of the sugar. Whisk the egg whites for another 5-10 minutes until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed.
11. Fold one-third of the meringue into the reserved banana purée with the hazelnut praline to loosen this mixture. Then fold in the remainder of the meringue, but be careful to not overdo this mixing. Finally, gently fold the whipped cream into the mixture.

PREPARING THE CENTRE OF THE CAKE
1. Begin by preparing a mould for the parfait. Cut two pieces of sturdy plastic or cardboard measuring 3 x 15cm/1 x 6in. Cut two more pieces measuring 3 x 6cm/1 x 2in. Use tape to join these pieces and form a rectangular mould. Set the mould on a tray covered with a sheet of baking parchment.
2. Set the rectangular mould on to a tray covered with a sheet of parchment. Fill the mould one-third full with cold banana parfait.
3. Remove the white-chocolate coated raspberry sorbet tube from the freezer. Remove the acetate from the tube and press it into the parfait in the mould.
4. Use a palette knife to fill in the rest of the mould with banana parfait and then scrape the surface smooth. Return this to the freezer for at least six hours to harden.

MAKING THE SWISS MERINGUE
1. Place the egg whites in a mixing bowl and set it over a pan filled with simmering water.
2. Whisk the whites over the water until they reach 55C/130F. Use a digital probe to check the temperature.
3. Remove the bowl from the pan and slowly whisk in the sugar until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed. It's helpful to do this with a food mixer.

FINISHING THE CAKE
1. Gently heat the raspberry coulis, then pour it into a jug and keep warm for serving.
2. Cut the cake into a rectangle measuring 15 x 6cm/6 x 2in and 3cm/1in thick.
3. Brown the butter in a sauté pan, then fry the cake on both sides. When the surfaces are brown, transfer the cake to a baking sheet and allow to cool for at least ten minutes.
4. Spread a very generous layer of marmalade evenly over the top surface of the cooled cake.
5. Remove the frozen parfait from the freezer and unmould it. Place on top of the marmalade-coated cake and transfer to a small rectangular serving platter.
6. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
7. Using a palette knife, generously spread meringue over the entire surface of the cake and parfait, giving it a rippled effect. If you wish, you can use a piping bag to create peaks on the top surface.
8. Gently brown the surface of the meringue with a blowtorch. Be very careful with the blowtorch; don't have the flame too close.
9. Put the entire cake on its serving platter into the oven for about two minutes to warm the meringue.
10. Cover a large platter with dry ice and place the warmed platter of baked Alaska on top.
11. Just before serving, fill a jug with hot water and bring the rum to a simmer in a small pan. Pour the hot water on to the dry ice to create billows of vapour around the baked Alaska. When the rum is at a simmer, ignite the alcohol and carefully pour it around the edge of the smaller platter holding the baked Alaska.
12. When the flames die out, slice the cake into six pieces and serve with the warm raspberry coulis.

(Apologies for the lengthy cut and paste, but I think that they only keep these up for a week after the programme in which he shows this is on.)
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!

Recipe Submissions

I made this for Thanksgiving.

Slow-cooker Cranberry Relish/Conserve

1 package cranberries (the Ocean Spray bag you see in every supermarket)
1 and 1/2 cups of sugar
1 and 1/2 cups of high-quality orange juice
Zest of 1 orange
2 tsp. allspice (fresh ground off the whole nut is best)
2 tsp. ground nutmeg (same as with the allspice)
1 tsp. ground cloves

Heat the orange juice and sugar over medium heat until the sugar has completely dissolved. Put the orange syrup and all the other ingredients in a slow cooker, give it a good stir and cook it on low for at least 6 hours. You want to see most, if not all, of the cranberries popped open and a thick bubbling liquid. Once this cools, you'll have a nice, thick cranberry conserve that goes equally well as a relish on the side or as a substitute for jam on toast or in a PB&J.

The biggest trick seems to be the orange juice. Store-bought OJs can often be bitter or otherwise lacking in flavor. Buy the best you can find. Obviously, the best solution is squeezing your own, but that's a huge pain in the ass.
You had me at Sex Traction Aunts Getting Vodka-Rogered On Glass Furniture

Recipe Submissions

Does anyone have any interesting recipes for poor diabetics? I'm going through a 'poor' stint here, and the food banks are great for bread. Unfortunately, bread makes me sick...

The rule is 'low carbohydrates'. This would be fine...I relish the idea of living off meat and greens...but see 'poor' above. It is a kinda crappy position to be in.

I have been having a lot of fun bugging various Asians in Chinatown...there is one population that knows how to live well on a budget. Of course, the rice and noodles are mostly out, too...

The situation is complicated by the profusion of Atkin's Diet recipes and your 'typical' diabetic cookbook, which always assume that you are trying to lose weight. My metabolism is whacked...if I lose any more weight, I'll be in danger of blowing away...

Recipe Submissions

rayj wrote:Does anyone have any interesting recipes for poor diabetics? I'm going through a 'poor' stint here, and the food banks are great for bread. Unfortunately, bread makes me sick...

The rule is 'low carbohydrates'. This would be fine...I relish the idea of living off meat and greens...but see 'poor' above. It is a kinda crappy position to be in.

I have been having a lot of fun bugging various Asians in Chinatown...there is one population that knows how to live well on a budget. Of course, the rice and noodles are mostly out, too...

The situation is complicated by the profusion of Atkin's Diet recipes and your 'typical' diabetic cookbook, which always assume that you are trying to lose weight. My metabolism is whacked...if I lose any more weight, I'll be in danger of blowing away...

How severe is your condition? I mean, can there be slight glutens in your diet? Can you handle a few sheets of phyllo dough?

Frittatas are the best and easiest poor man's food, in my opinion. Eggs cost little, there are usually leftovers hanging around, you can put a scant few sprinklings of strong cheese in the mixture with amazing and potent result, and they look pretty. I've also seen similar projects done in tart form, but with tomatoes or eggplants as the crust.
"To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost."

-Gustave Flaubert

Recipe Submissions

Mandroid2.0 wrote:How severe is your condition? I mean, can there be slight glutens in your diet? Can you handle a few sheets of phyllo dough?

Frittatas are the best and easiest poor man's food, in my opinion. Eggs cost little, there are usually leftovers hanging around, you can put a scant few sprinklings of strong cheese in the mixture with amazing and potent result, and they look pretty. I've also seen similar projects done in tart form, but with tomatoes or eggplants as the crust.

Yes, eggs are OK. I can handle some carbs, but the source of the carbs is a point of contention as well. It gets ridiculously complicated, but simple sugars hit me like a sledgehammer...40 grams of carbohydrates from a box of mac & cheese makes me sick, but the same from whole grain European style breads barely registers...

I used to make crepes fairly often. Maybe I should experiment with them again and use whole wheat flour...

Crustless quiche is a good one. I used to make them all the time. Thanks for reminding me...

Recipe Submissions

rayj wrote:Yes, eggs are OK. I can handle some carbs, but the source of the carbs is a point of contention as well. It gets ridiculously complicated, but simple sugars hit me like a sledgehammer...40 grams of carbohydrates from a box of mac & cheese makes me sick, but the same from whole grain European style breads barely registers...

if you like the asian food, travel to your local korean market and check out the refrigerated aisle with all the prepackaged banchan (all the stuff that goes on the sides of rice, like pickled perilla leaf (genyip), spicy green onions, pickled dikon, kimchee, radish kimchee). you can also make your own like wilted spinach with sesame oil and soy sauce, sauteed fish cake (ohdang) with soy and hot red bean paste (gahchujong) (you can find fish cake very cheap), and egg omelette with onions, garlic, and kimchee if you want (you can refrigerate and eat it cold with your other banchan)... make your own bulgogi which you can then freeze if you don't eat it all. between soy sauce, red bean paste, garlic, scallions, ginger, sesame oil, banchan, tofu and meat you can make like a hundred korean recipes. oh and all that banchan you can eat with fresh sliced tofu instead of rice. when your kimchee starts getting a little old, throw it in a pot (with the juice) with sesame oil, soy sauce, tofu, garlic, scallions, vegetable or beef broth and your bulgogi for a gooood stew. you can also saute your old kimchee with meat and eat it with sliced tofu. so good!

p.s. my 89 yr old japanese/korean grandma is also a diabetic and lives a completely wonderful life by following this kind of diet (add fish). also it's been said that kimchee actually helps diabetics. google it!