Re: Bizarre Japanese guitars

randomonion wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:47 am I have just posted up a demo of sorts using this guitar and a bunch of other appropriate things.
Fill ya boots!
sounds amazing! This is how all guitar/pedal/amp reviews should be done, frankly.
"I got to tell you, if I went to a show and an opening band I never heard of lugged a Super Six on stage, I am paying attention." - Owen

Any thoughts out there as to what this might have been.
Once had a water slide decal name on the headstock that has been scraped off.
Definitely Japanese, most likely early 70s (possibly late 60s) open book headstock, bolt-on neck. Seems to have had a trapeze or vibrato all along but this one has been added recently. Union Jack has been added at some time. Rest is all original - I think. Old aluminum knobs.
Body shape is reminiscent of Univox Badass and Guild S-100..... Fresher maybe.... quite nice to play.

Nate above, it's a perfect match except the tuners are different (and both are era-appropriate) so I think you found the archetype. The fake Gibson decal is obviously not the original. I know Matsumoku / Greco did a few pointed-horn Strat type bodies in the early 70s, perhaps one of those since the humbuckers look like 70s MIJ production. I'll have a look at some of the vintage MIJ sites. Cool guitar!

matttkkkk wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:29 pm Nate above, it's a perfect match except the tuners are different (and both are era-appropriate) so I think you found the archetype. The fake Gibson decal is obviously not the original. I know Matsumoku / Greco did a few pointed-horn Strat type bodies in the early 70s, perhaps one of those since the humbuckers look like 70s MIJ production. I'll have a look at some of the vintage MIJ sites. Cool guitar!
To both Nate and Matttkkkk:
My bad!
Yeah, that's the guitar before I got it and traded out the Vibrato, (which I needed for another guitar), but I had forgotten that when I gave it the TLC, I changed out the tuners as well, (the originals were very crusty and worn). The original Vibrato was consistent with Teisco Gen Gakki guitars from the late 60's, Honey and Firstman, etc.
Anyway, without a name it's just another cool ol' beater and will probably go to some keen young muso here in NZ.