Alternative Tentacles?

Crap.
Total votes: 4 (19%)
Not Crap.
Total votes: 17 (81%)
Total votes: 21

Record Label: Alternative Tentacles

Sure, the Dead Kennedys. Jello Biafra. But what about Amebix, NoMeansNo, Black Kali Ma, Half Japanese, Slim Cessnas Auto Club, Fleshies, Iowaska, Alice Donut, Articles of Faith, JFA, Comets on Fire, Pansy Division, etc?

I am undecided. While I think AT has put out some really great records and is involved with some of the most interesting bands around, I also think they have put out a really large amount of shitty music.

What do you think? What do you like and dislike?

The whole AT thing suggests Jello didn't really "get it", punctuated with 10 yearly proofs that he certainly did. The first Buttonhole Surfers EP took a keen ear to recognise the merit & short term potential. Then a suspicious 15 yr gap... I'd rate Flaming Stars and certainly the similarly titled Comets on Fire who I just learnd were on AT. But at a success rate of 1/100 I can't but vote "crap".

garble wrote:But what about Amebix, NoMeansNo, Black Kali Ma, Half Japanese, Slim Cessnas Auto Club, Fleshies, Iowaska, Alice Donut, Articles of Faith, JFA, Comets on Fire, Pansy Division, etc?

One of these etc's was the great Scottish band, the Dog Faced Hermans.

God, they were good. They almost redeem the entire AT label.

Not Crap. I never went for the punker-than-thou attitude of Maximum Rock n Roll, etc (although the amount of merch was a bit 'er...'). Through the nineties they always seemed to put out stuff that made me want to hear it, things that were interesting if not always brilliant or able to stand up to the test of time. But apart from anything else, two things warrant not crap. Nomeansno and Neurosis. And thus, not crap.

Oh yeah, and the Dead summings.

I say not crap, at least just based on the strength of "Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables" & that "Virus 100" compilation, the first two Butthole Surfers EPs, anything by NoMeansNo, most of the things by Alice Donut, and the thing I heard once by Victim's Family that I really should get a copy of for myself.

Oh yeah - and also for the fact that they re-issued the BellRays 'Red White & Black' record for some reason... although I still don't know what that was all about...

horsewhip wrote:The Kennedys were great. I had a thing for Alice Donut in my late adolescence, but their music has not aged well at all.

not crap. the AT label was about more than the music though there is enough good music to redeem the label.
To me Steve wrote:I'm curious why[...] you wouldn't just fuck off instead. Let's hear your record, cocksocket.