Do you know anyone who has actually finished grad school?

my mom has a Masters in Social Work and is a Liscenced Clinical Social Worker (though you don't single it out as a "professional school," it only took her four years to get both of those, so i don't know that it counts.)

also, i've had some fairly young professors who either just finished or were just about to finish, so i've seen that transitionary stage and know that it is indeed possible. oh yeah, and my high school Poli Sci teacher's son just got his PhD. in Philosophy AND got a job (teaching philosophy!). this is a miracle, she is.

so don't be discouraged. talk to connor if you need moral support. you guys can maybe sponsor each other. like AA.

(also, ginandtacos, i've heard you mention some things about your research and Dane County before. where are you going to school?)
if i got lasik surgery on one eye, i could wear a monacle.

Do you know anyone who has actually finished grad school?

Yes. It can be done. But I am only about to wrap up my master's thesis after a 5 year layoff. It helps to be one of two things: Either entirely focused and able to to prioritize and TCB, or and in my experience this is where the real success stories are, one of those people who can just let all the shit that comes down on you roll right off your back. Somehow, those that cheerfully and charmingly don't give a shit and aren't burdened with too much self-awareness or their own perfectionism turn out with the most success and have the most fun doing it. That doesn't mean they're the best at what they do, but they are the most successful--getting tenure-track positions, publishing, teaching, presenting, refereeing.

But I think the EA forum and academia are at cross purposes. We should get off the 'Net.