mouse - trackball suggestions

I was wondering if anyone had any strong feelings (pro or con) about a mouse or trackball that they are using. I need to buy one soon before the trackpad on my laptop turns my temporary wrist pains into long term wrist pains.

I would consider a trackball or mouse, optical or laser.

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 4.0

Optical USB mouse with the normal left and right buttons, plus a wheel (which is also a 3rd button), plus two thumb buttons, for a grand total of 5 buttons. Plus a wheel. The older version of the mouse only had a normal wheel, but a newer one that I got has a wheel that in addition to rolling up or down, can also be pushed a little to the left or right, giving a 2-dimensional control instead of just 1.

I'm a huge fan of this mouse, and own 2. 3 if you count the one that was stolen and I replaced.
"The bastards have landed"

www.myspace.com/thechromerobes - now has a couple songs from the new album

If you're looking for something cheaper than the Intellimouse, I like my MS Wireless Optical mouse. It's got only two buttons but also has the scroll wheel that you can tilt to scroll horizontally, and you can also press the wheel down to toggle through all the apps you have open. It's proved very durable (I decided to upgrade after destroying <$15 mice every several months) and I like the ergonomics (YMMV of course). My only complaints are that the horizontal scrolling feature is actually kinda useless as it moves very slow, and you can't take it apart to clean out the scroll wheel (I have three cats who shed copiously, so this is an issue for me.)

I am also a trackball hater like the above. If I wanted that, I'd turn a regular mouse upside down. And I'm absolutely incapable of using laptop trackpads.

I use Microsoft Basic Optical mice. I have like seven of them, they're usually $11 or so.
http://www.directron.com/msftmouse.html

I had wrist problems a while ago, and what helped for me was switching hands on the mouse from time to time. At the beginning it was difficult with my left hand, but now I'm totally comfortable using a mouse/ trackpad/ whatever with either hand. I am a bit slower with my left hand than with my right, but that's only if I'm doing something really position-intensive, like cutting up tracks in the DAW or tracing a border in Photoshop.