Toots? The Maytals?

CRAP
Total votes: 1 (6%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 15 (94%)
Total votes: 16

Band: Toots and the Maytals

Reggae's James Brown. Rivaled only by Sly Stone and the Allman Brothers when it comes to my favorite summertime music. You know you're one funky motherfucker when you can cover John Denver and sound cool doing it.

An interesting sidenote: When Toots made Toots in Memphis, covering a bunch of soul standards backed by Memphis session men, he eliminated all minor chords (the "devil's chords") and altered all negative sentiments. So "Knock on Wood"'s the way you love me is frightening became the way you love me--I like it!

It sounds like a crap idea, but so did the John Denver cover. Trust me, it works. Because Toots cannot be crap under any circumstances.
dontfeartheringo wrote:I need people to act like grown folks and I just ain't seeing it.

Absolutely not crap.

"Sweet and Dandy" is probably one of my four or five favorite songs ever. It never fails to put a smile on my face, no matter what kind of mood I might be in at that moment.

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:It sounds like a crap idea, but so did the John Denver cover. Trust me, it works. Because Toots cannot be crap under any circumstances.

So true. I about fell out of my chair the first time I heard it, laughing at how corny it should have been, yet marveling at how sincere and awesome it turned out to be. It might be my favorite cover version of any song by anyone.

Toots is the man. Great pipes, great music.

My all-time fave reggae act. Superb deep grooves and Toots Hibbert has one of the most amazing voices of anyone in any genre of music. Reggae Got Soul and Funky Kingston are brilliant stuff, and Hibbert's solo album Toots In Memphis is pretty amazing as well. 110% Not Crap.
"Everything should be kept. I regret everything I’ve ever thrown away." -- Richard Hell