Do you make a living engineering?

EAers,

Like some of you, I work at a recording studio. I get consistent work and live to get by. The studio I work at doesn't have a payroll, so I'm considered hired labor. I have no insurance, retirement plan, etc.

Who else hear makes their living recording records? What do you do in regards to taxes, insurance, savings, etc.? The Freelancer's Union seems promising, but many benefits aren't offered outside of New York. What options are available?

I'm feeling your pain, friend. Engineering has been my sole source of income for the last three and a half years. I only work at one studio but I'm paid as an independent contractor. I insist on doing my taxes myself so they're a fucking mess, I haven't carried insurance in a few years, and I have no savings to speak of. The good months can be very very good (Hello, new Telecaster!), but the bad months are fucking horrible (Goodbye, Telecaster).

As far as what I'm doing about it? I'm a single guy in my mid-twenties who lives alone with my cat and loves loves loves working 100+ hours a week making records. I'm so satisfied and fulfilled by it that it seems worth it. I don't have an answer for what I'm going to do about the obvious problems when they arise. My "boss" and a are working on a contract right now that would put me on salary as an employee of the studio. It won't help the insurance situation (though I imagine I'll be able to budget more wisely and possibly afford something), but I can't wait to file a 1040EZ when I do my taxes next year.

Same boat, no answers. We're both smart and lucky enough that we can do this for a living. I'm sure we'll be smart and lucky enough to find a way to make everything else work out.

Why is audio recording called/considered engineering? Please answer me honestly, despite my asshole question.

Does someone who knows how to record records, even very well, but had no schooling besides maybe a protools workshop or something, or maybe a certificate from a 16-month recording school = someone with 5 difficult years of math, physics, programming and engineering classes ultimately leading to a BS in electrical engineering?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think "audio engineering" is the only "engineering" field that doesn't require at least a bachelor's degree (in the field) to work in. In the electrical field, anyone without a bachelor's can at most be considered a "technician". Why not the same with audio?

I'm just being a dick cause I can't find a job. And cause school is fucking hard.

Kayte R. wrote:Why is audio recording called/considered engineering? Please answer me honestly, despite my asshole question.

Does someone who knows how to record records, even very well, but had no schooling besides maybe a protools workshop or something, or maybe a certificate from a 16-month recording school = someone with 5 difficult years of math, physics, programming and engineering classes ultimately leading to a BS in electrical engineering?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think "audio engineering" is the only "engineering" field that doesn't require at least a bachelor's degree (in the field) to work in. In the electrical field, anyone without a bachelor's can at most be considered a "technician". Why not the same with audio?

I'm just being a dick cause I can't find a job. And cause school is fucking hard.

Yeah, that's why when I'm asked what I go to school for I say Audio Engineering.
"That man is a head taller than me.

...That may change."

Kayte R. wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think "audio engineering" is the only "engineering" field that doesn't require at least a bachelor's degree (in the field) to work in.

And those pesky train drivers...

Seriously though, I think 'Engineer' is much more of a job descriptor than a professional title. I have an engineering degree, but my work is not really so much engineering related, so I don't call myself an engineer. It's not really the same as someone with a PhD calling themselves a 'doctor,' for example.
The Chrome Robes-Busted Canoe

I think I blame it on the Beatles.

I'd certainly be fine and comfortable with being credited as Recording Technician or "Recorded by:" but bands insist on Engineer in they artwork. And then other bands insist on asking me to engineer their records. I absolutely do not have the education background to warrant the title and wish the music industry would find a different and more appropriate term. But as Geoff Emerick and Jack Douglas and Andy Johns and EVERYONE used the term it is going to be pretty hard to abandon now as it is what people expect.

Kayte R. wrote:W

Because people don't die if you overload the max spl on a microphone. Phasing issues will not cause 20 tons of concrete to crush the skulls of your client's employees.

By the way gnangle, nice technician joke. If people are gonna laugh you might as well be funny.

I think historically people would tend to take the electronic engineering route when learning how to engineer audio. I still regard professional audio engineers who I respect as "proper" engineers though - you often realsie this when you speak to them.

You're right though, there are some stupid fuckers out there who know jack and still refer to themselves as engineers.

Does anyone remember diamonddave103?