What the hell is up with my guitar? PLEASE!

OK

I have a Gibson ES 135 with P100 pickups. Since I got the guitar I have battled a constant weird problem.

When I play the guitar on a strap standing up, there is a weird static crackle from it when I move it around. It isn't a bad lead (my other guitars don't do it) or a bad connection.

It is based on movement of the guitar and it is really really audible. I had a feeling it was related to my belt or my jean studs but it doesn't seem consistent.

The thing is, it only does it on the neck pickup (when the toggle is in the neck position).

I have had the pickups checked by a tech, one was insulated with foil. we both assumed this was the problem but sorting it didn't fix it.

So the volume and tone pots for the neck p/u were replaced. sounded quieter but still, static crackling when moving it around.

IT IS DRIVING ME FUCKING NUTS. AND COSTING ME £££
Rick Reuben wrote:We're all sensitive people
With so much love to give, understand me sugar
Since we got to be... Lets say, I love you

It looks like the bridge/tailpiece wherever it goes to ground wire is disconnected from whatever it's supposed to be connected to in that hole.

It's a typical Gibson setup, tailpiece, bridge, humbucker. How do I get that solid, uninsulated ground wire hooked back up to what it's supposed to be hooked up to?

-Sorry to hijack this thread with my problem, but we'll both perhaps learn something.

honeyisfunny wrote:OK

I have a Gibson ES 135 with P100 pickups. Since I got the guitar I have battled a constant weird problem.

When I play the guitar on a strap standing up, there is a weird static crackle from it when I move it around. It isn't a bad lead (my other guitars don't do it) or a bad connection.

It is based on movement of the guitar and it is really really audible. I had a feeling it was related to my belt or my jean studs but it doesn't seem consistent.

The thing is, it only does it on the neck pickup (when the toggle is in the neck position).

I have had the pickups checked by a tech, one was insulated with foil. we both assumed this was the problem but sorting it didn't fix it.

So the volume and tone pots for the neck p/u were replaced. sounded quieter but still, static crackling when moving it around.

IT IS DRIVING ME FUCKING NUTS. AND COSTING ME £££

take it back and say you paid for nothing because the problem is still there. pitch a bitch 'til they fix it for nothing. i mean what did you pay for the first time? nothing.
buy my guitar. now with pictures!

my money is on the switch itself. if, as you say, the noise is only there when the switch is in the neck position (and not the middle position, right?) then that automatically localizes the problem with the physical switch.

maybe in putting the electronics back in, at some point, the switch has been pushed up against some of the wood inside. or, the switch might just be fucked.

good news is, it's not as expensive as a lot of other things it coulda been.

if the problem is there in the middle position as well, it may be wiring internal to the neck pickup. or the wiring from the neck pickup to the volume pot, or volume pot to switch.

getting those electronics in and out sucks butt. I don't envy your tech.
"The bastards have landed"

www.myspace.com/thechromerobes - now has a couple songs from the new album

scott wrote:my money is on the switch itself. if, as you say, the noise is only there when the switch is in the neck position (and not the middle position, right?) then that automatically localizes the problem with the physical switch.

maybe in putting the electronics back in, at some point, the switch has been pushed up against some of the wood inside. or, the switch might just be fucked.

good news is, it's not as expensive as a lot of other things it coulda been.

if the problem is there in the middle position as well, it may be wiring internal to the neck pickup. or the wiring from the neck pickup to the volume pot, or volume pot to switch.

getting those electronics in and out sucks butt. I don't envy your tech.

I kind of think you're right on this. The more I think about it the more it has to be either the neck pickup itself, one of it's controls or the switch.

It's already had both pickups out, checked and the wiring tidied up. It's also had the volume pot replaced for the neck pickup and the earth wire checked and a secondary earth added to the bridge.
The only thing left is the selector.
Also, the selector kind of falls over my belt buckle and it just feels like the buckle or any metal on me (like my nipple rings ha ha) is somehow connected as when I sit down it does it less because the guitar is away from my body.
I don't have a pacemaker by the way.

My tech is a great guy and will only charge me for the first try and fixing it and any parts on top that have to be changed. he hates hollow bodies.
Rick Reuben wrote:We're all sensitive people
With so much love to give, understand me sugar
Since we got to be... Lets say, I love you