Rolling Stone’s Top 25 Underappreciated Artists

Crap
Total votes: 14 (82%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 3 (18%)
Total votes: 17

Rolling Stone ™s Top 25 Underappreciated Artists

Sorry. I just realized I probably shouldn't even post this. It's obvious how crap it is. I just wanted to share my disgust of these bullshit lists that Rolling Stone coughs up every 15 min. Bob Seger??

1. Tom Waits
2. The Replacements
3. Cheap Trick
4. Sonic Youth
5. Warren Zevon
6. Big Star
7. The Pharcyde
8. Roxy Music
9. Talking Heads
10. Bob Seger
11. The Hold Steady
12. Fugazi
13. The Cramps
14. The New York Dolls
15. The Band
16. The Cars
17. Pogues
18. Alice Cooper
19. Dinosaur Jr
20. Sleater-Kinney
21. Husker Du
22. Devo
23. Wilco
24. Tom Petty
25. Ween
kerble wrote:you talked smack, now you gotta pony up some tone, hoss.

myspace.com/majorbarger

What silliness. Almost all of these bands have been critic's darlings for years, but these:

DazeyDiver wrote:3. Cheap Trick
5. Warren Zevon
8. Roxy Music
9. Talking Heads
10. Bob Seger
16. The Cars
18. Alice Cooper
22. Devo
24. Tom Petty

. . . were not only critic's darlings, but they were hugely successful. I mean, seriously, Tom Petty? The guy who can still fill arenas thirty years into his career?
My grunge/northwest rock blog

Rimbaud III wrote:
11. The Hold Steady

What what (in the butt)?

Someone, please, take a moment or two to explain this cockwash to me. This band are the epitome of overrated.

Yeah, that one sticks out like a sore thumb. I like the band, but i'd say they are currently neither underrated nor overrated (as they are currently, in my circles, undergoing a backlash resulting from their being over-hyped for a while there). I would say they are perfectly rated.

But whatever, it's Rolling Stone. They probably agree that Avril Lavigne is punk.
http://www.ifihadahifi.net
http://www.superstarcastic.com

Marsupialized wrote:Thank you so much for the pounding, it came in handy.

It's like they just randomly pulled names of not-necessarily underappreciated bands out of a hat and slapped 'em up there. I mean, what actually comes to mind when you think "Top ## Underappreciated Bands"? I'm thinking maybe Birthday Party, Jesus Lizard, Stooges, Mission of Burma, Gang of Four, etc.

Also, I'm surprised the White Stripes didn't make this list.
kerble wrote:you talked smack, now you gotta pony up some tone, hoss.

myspace.com/majorbarger

What does appreciation mean anyway? As you guys pointed out, a lot of these artists are platinum sellers who've received unanimous critical praise. What the hell else does Rolling Stone suggest we do for Tom Petty?

The world is full of people who appreciate Tom Waits. The guy sells out every show he plays, and the only reason he isn't MORE commercially successful is because he's not after that -- he tours selectively and he feels free to make his music as weird and personal and avant-garde as he wants. If Tom really cared about drawing an even wider audience, he'd put on a clean suit and crank out some bullshit new country album.

Same with Fugazi. Everyone who would ever realistically get Fugazi TOTALLY appreciates them. If this is a list proclaiming that it's a shame my mother doesn't own In on the Killtaker, or that the kids on the corner who like G-Unit and Young Jeezy are tragically unappreciative of Fugazi, then I have to stamp a big "WHAT THE FUCK?" on this list.

chet wrote:I think Smart Went Crazy should be #1 on this list. They were extremely good, and even had a good label (Dischord) to back them. Yet I never hear anything about them from anyone, besides the Dischord site giving them props.

they were great live, a pre-Ifihadahifi band called the Pop Machine, opened what I believe to be there last show ever, as they broke up on tour, in the promoters house the next day.
Ty Webb wrote:
You need to stop pretending that this is some kind of philosophical choice not to procreate and just admit you don't wear pants to the dentist.

It's a free market; people like what they like. There's no over/under appreciation going on. People aren't going to drop Britney (or whoever) in favour of Bailter Space just because they catch a blast from their cousins stereo.

Music doesn't lose or gain legitimacy based on the number of people who like it, it merely loses or gains popularity.

CRAP.