Burial, maker of music

Crap
Total votes: 31 (69%)
Not crap
Total votes: 14 (31%)
Total votes: 45

Musical concern: Burial

He sounds intriguing: the aesthetic and personal impression that I took from that interview appeal to me, particularly that nighttime, tired evocation of passing through South London. There is a hallucinatory quality to such wee hour journeys, which I think can be a rich source of inspiration.

I checked out a song of his on Seeqpod: Southern Comfort. I don't know what to think: the percussion seems too aggressive and edgy for my taste, or at least for the taste awakened by the description. It reminds me of dark stuff I danced to ten years ago in Hackney, the one and only time I found myself on a floor playing what I thought was seriously mean jungle: it looked like the set of some grungy brit-club film; not exactly fun, but thrilling.

Perhaps it would be better with the beats stripped out together? It has this looming quality that I do like. Our friend's Mezzotint, whilst utterly different in content, seems to possess a similar mood, and has pushed me towards a more abstract, ambient kind of urban music. Or, indeed, the glorious psychedelia of our own hip priest's Teeth of the Sea.

I do like this endless sensation that Southern Comfort brings. Gutted is also quite cool; though maybe a little obvious with its gun-cock-sound paranoia and murky muttering. And again I'm not sure whether I like the beat - it is a little too reminiscent of trendy Hoxton bars and carefully cultivated three day face shadows. I accept that this bias is entirely my own though!

Not crap wf 5 on listening to three songs.

Edit: We seem to be missing a poll; then again, I'm not sure whether the votes ever tell us much besides the obvious.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!

I genuinely enjoyed the EP (South London Boroughs - where Southern Comfort is from) which is really solid but found the first album patchy and unsatisfying, I think the second one, Untrue, while not quibble-free, is a huge improvement. NC.

I think part of my reluctance to fully embrace it has been that it reminds me of some of the early, sparser drum and bass tracks I remember from my salad days, a touch of the heard-it-all-befores, but after reading that interview this is precisely the essence he's summoning. For a young 'un he seems modest and dedicated, I couldn't help but like him after reading that.

(sparky, I feel terribly uncomfortable talking about my grubby dilettantism but weirdly enough you're the second person to make this comparison.)

cjh wrote:I think part of my reluctance to fully embrace it has been that it reminds me of some of the early, sparser drum and bass tracks I remember from my salad days, a touch of the heard-it-all-befores, but after reading that interview this is precisely the essence he's summoning.

A post-apocalyptic-Camden-market vibe.

cjh wrote:(sparky, I feel terribly uncomfortable talking about my grubby dilettantism but weirdly enough you're the second person to make this comparison.)

Ah... Spookeh. And there I was thinking that I was making a non-obvious connection. Perhaps this shows my paucity of reference points.

The other person whom I felt tempted to mention - and will now - is Susanne Brokesch. Her music is less urban; to my stupid ears she sounds more classical, elegant, more internal (I am struggling here). I honestly think that her last record, Emerald Stars, is a masterpiece.

tmidgett wrote:A post-apocalyptic-Camden-market vibe.

He's sauf London, please.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!