Latency with Firepod-Cubase

A little help.

My current latency (regardless of sample rate) is 12 msec. I'm using a Presonus FirePod interface with Cubase SX3 and Windows XP on a Pentium 4 (2.79 gB) processor.

Can I expect this latency to decrease significantly if I upgrade to a faster Windows machine (with a Duo, dual quad core, etc) or is my current long latency dependent on other factors (like using Windows, etc.).

B.
Brian McNeil, BA, MA, PhD drop out,

I'm just a thousand monkeys with typewriters.

The latency is not a function of your computer, It is a function of your sound card / driver set.

You should be able to change your latency by decreasing the buffer setting for your soundcard in the controller/mixer GUI of your Card. 12 Ms isn't a ton, (roughly 512 @ 48K?) and if your computer doesn't seem to have any problems running at that buffer setting... try decreasing it. Also, look into devising a direct monitoring system (i.e. monitoring in parallel) using a mixer or splitter cable system/blah blah blah.

In the Future, The TapeOp board might be better source of information about these sort of problems because from what I can tell the people here are bitter and jaded and a little evil most of the time.

You just caught be on a good drunk.

Love,

Jap

people here are bitter and jaded and a little evil most of the time.

for example:

I recommend showing the presonus who's boss. A hammer will do the trick. If I ever meet anyone from Presonus, I'm just going to fucking kill him.

Use hardware monitoring. There will be a preferences window in Cubase or whatever that says "Use software monitoring?" or something stupid like that. Turn it off.
Software monitoring is like having an extra tape head on a tape recorder that lets you play back what you are recording.... just a little too late.

Brian Madigan wrote:
people here are bitter and jaded and a little evil most of the time.

for example:

I recommend showing the presonus who's boss. A hammer will do the trick. If I ever meet anyone from Presonus, I'm just going to fucking kill him.

Use hardware monitoring. There will be a preferences window in Cubase or whatever that says "Use software monitoring?" or something stupid like that. Turn it off.
Software monitoring is like having an extra tape head on a tape recorder that lets you play back what you are recording.... just a little too late.

i"am not sure if Cubase is like Nuendo... but in Nuendo, you will only hear the latency if you click on the monitor button of each track. If the Presonus can do true thru monitoring, you should not have a problem