Led Zeppelin stole stuff (surprise surprise)

Ace wrote:Has this been posted already?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCMDR0yrxMw&NR=1

I heard this guy on the radio - he's on a one person crusade against Led Zeppelin. Do y'all buy it?

Everyone and their brother knows Zeppelin stole shit, which I guess makes them the best cover band ever.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

Groucho Marx wrote:Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Well, yeah they stole stuff- but the extent to which they did came as a bit of a surprise to me. I mean, everyone has heard most of the willie dixon originals and stuff, but I hadn't heard the Spirit 'stairway to heaven' riff, or the yardbirds 'dazed and confused.'

I don't know, it came as news to me. I'm not the biggest Zep follower, so it came as a bit of a surprise.
Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

El Protoolio wrote:This is why, for me, Sabbath wins in a Sabbath/Zep Thunderdome.

But Sabbath ripped off The New Christy Minstrels. "Sabbra Cadabra" is "Chim Chim Cher-ee" note for note. Iommi was Barry McGuire's caddy in the mid sixties and kept the chord progressions and lyrical fragments that Barry would doodle on the back of his golf cards.
Robert Anton Wilson wrote:The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental

my first attention seeking post, post lurking days was about this subject (now conveniently deleted). I think it's been done before many times over.

Just wonder what people who consider originality & not being a derivative as one of the factors for liking a band think about it.

Steve's post from a few years ago about derivative bands, though nothing mentioned about ripping entire songs in this post

http://electrical.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=48578&highlight=dead+meadow&sid=54cd6462835918cad16c84b2b6e660ba#48578

BadComrade wrote:
Ace wrote:the yardbirds 'dazed and confused.'

To be fair, Jimmy Page was in the Yardbirds.

Someone didn't click the link!

Obviously, I love Zep. I'd heard several of the originals they knocked off, but this video introduced me to a few more. I had never heard 'Babe...', 'Dazed...' or the Richie Valens tune. The Willie Dixon stuff is well known, as is Taurus. I don't know...they're still a kick ass rock and roll band.

ssakmule wrote:my first attention seeking post, post lurking days was about this subject (now conveniently deleted). I think it's been done before many times over.

Just wonder what people who consider originality & not being a derivative as one of the factors for liking a band think about it.

Steve's post from a few years ago about derivative bands, though nothing mentioned about ripping entire songs in this post

http://electrical.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=48578&highlight=dead+meadow&sid=54cd6462835918cad16c84b2b6e660ba#48578

I guess a problem with that argument could be one displayed with the exact example in this thread.

What if; The Stooges were your favourite band ever and you held that opinion (you posted in the link), but then one day you found out that there was a band around 5 years before them that they completely ripped off, they even had a drug filled front man throwing himself about the stage like a nut. Would you suddenly not like those Stooges songs.

I'm really interested in music conceptually as well as sensually. I have two sides to me in that sense. I love exploration of sound and composition, I listen to a good deal of (what I believe to be) original artists and experimental artists and I don't limit myself with sound even though I get periods of researching particular genres to a more in depth level, but I also love a good dose of punk rock/hardcore sometimes, where there are plenty of rip-off bands I love. I just enjoy their songs and have fun listening to them.

Perhaps sometimes too much importance is put upon what are just songs. When playing music in bands was originally invented as a concept, I can't imagine those people thinking; one day people will get paid lots of money to write about these songs we're playing and people will get into raging arguments about what we're doing here. It was a communal activity and entertainment, a sensual and enjoyable experience like eating ice cream. It's nice for me to have a balance there and at the end of the day I don't know if a piece of music is very original or not because I don't have the hugest knowledge of music history, I just have to enjoy what I enjoy and not concern myself too much.
coffin or new guy