ATR tape vs RMGI

Folks,

I'm nearing the end of my Quantegy stock. I'm leaning heavily toward ATR, but I'm slightly concerned that it doesn't have a long term stability track record yet. Is there any reason to choose RMGI over ATR (2" and 1/4")?

How about sound "quality"? I've not tested either. Is one significantly better?

What is Electrical using now, and why?

Any help in making this decision is much appreciated. Thanks!

- J.

ATR tape vs RMGI

We are using ATR for the 2" because it doesn't shit on the heads like RMGI has for us, and we trust them. We have a ton of 1/2" from the old Emtec days. I haven't a/b-ed the two new tapes (900 to ATR), but I have no complaints about the sound, and response of the ATR tape. Whatever your choice is, buy it well ahead of time, and test it out on your machine. Allow yourself the ability to return bad reels.
Greg Norman FG

ATR tape vs RMGI

omaroski wrote:is RMGI all that shit? Do they change the bad reels at least? Any complaints with RMGI 1"? both 900 and 911

the only RMG i have used is 1" 900. i bought two reels of it to do a record on an 8 track. one reel was fine. the other left brown goo all over the heads.

the guy at RMG was nice and they will replace the bad tape but it still sucks. he said that they are seeing less returns then when they first started so hopefully they are on the right track.

ATR tape vs RMGI

RMG are more than willing to replace dud rolls......to their credit, it isn't easy making tape......they did not get a manufacturing plant that was completely intact....and they are trying.......hopefully they will figure it out soon..
.....i know ATR has had their share of dud rolls as well......
......it's like the pioneering days in tape manufacturing right now....

ATR tape vs RMGI

ATR spent a couple years ensuring they would not have to sell the sort of crap RMG has been passing off as tape in the interim.

I have to say I am thrilled we never had to try to use more than a few rolls of RMG. Virtually all of my experiences with RMG gave me the opinion that the company was neither capable of making reliable tape nor particularly concerned that most of what they sent out was useless. Replacing bad reels is a meaningless formality when the time spent discovering that it is bad is worth a multiple of the tape cost, and the possibility that someone's life's work has been compromised is there with every reel.

Unless out of pure caught-in-the-wilderness desperation, I don't expect to ever use this tape on another session.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.

ATR tape vs RMGI

steve wrote:Virtually all of my experiences with RMG gave me the opinion that the company was neither capable of making reliable tape nor particularly concerned that most of what they sent out was useless. Replacing bad reels is a meaningless formality when the time spent discovering that it is bad is worth a multiple of the tape cost, and the possibility that someone's life's work has been compromised is there with every reel.

Unless out of pure caught-in-the-wilderness desperation, I don't expect to ever use this tape on another session.

yeah. it sucks. it's crap. they've replaced replacement reels and even given me free reels because of so many replacements and it was all worthless because the replaced replacement replacements are still crap and have caused me some serious problems (on a recent project the tape was fine during alignment and mixing but once it got to the ME 3 months later it had hf dropouts of up to 15-20 dB and had to baked and the band was charged absurdly for it and it was basically a total pain in the dick).
Michael Gregory Bridavsky

Russian Recording
Push-Pull