Meditation and-or Prayer

I know there's a C/NC poll for meditation, but I think this is a bit different.

My question is this- do you ascribe to some form of meditation?

Would you consider playing an instrument, or journaling a form of meditation?

As far as prayer, I don't necessarily mean a direct address to a deity so much...but are you, in the practice of crafting something, putting what could loosely be considered faith into something? Furthermore, are you attempting to plug into something outside of yourself that you consider bigger than yourself? Not a 'divine spirit' so much, but maybe the spirit of your immediate surroundings; a 'vibe', maybe.

Do you have some sort of personalized ritual that you practice before either trying to hash out an idea, or even before going out and facing the world?

I axin' youze...
You call me a hater like that's a bad thing

Ekkssvvppllott wrote:MayorofRockNRoll is apparently the poor man's thinking man.

Meditation and-or Prayer

The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:My question is this- do you ascribe to some form of meditation?

I've tried it a few times with "professional" assistance. Meditation is very difficult for me. I much prefer yoga as an aid in relaxation and release. I suppose the physicality is easier and more enjoyable than the mental discipline required for meditation.

Would you consider playing an instrument, or journaling a form of meditation?

I would consider playing an instrument or journaling meditiative, but I wouldn't consider either activity a proper conduit for meditation. The two seem counter-productive to the goal of meditation.
Rick Reuben wrote:I was reading the Electrical Forum in my parents' basement when ...

Meditation and-or Prayer

quoting myself from another thread --
BClark wrote:i've learned about all sorts of different "techniques" and the one thing for certain this this - meditation is something that each meditator must come to understand on their own terms. at least for the most part; learning how others do it can be helpful, but in the end you really just have to do what you can to sit still, maintain posture, and breathe.

place to do it: somewhere without noise (though some people find soft music to be helpful), without too much bright or flashing/moving lights. outdoors can work well in good weather.

a few things i know: the lotus (cross-legged) posture has been done successfully by hindus and buddhists for quite some time, and it ensures easy balance/posture, but it hinders circulation. anything that involves crossing limbs is generally bad for your circulation. to free up your circulation is a big part of meditation. try just sitting in a chair, feet parallel, back straight. some people are into standing meditation, which can be helpful, although it requires exertion, and if you want to meditate in the way that, say, taoists have meditated, you should keep in mind that exertion in general is "anti-tao"...

there's also the question of: what, if anything, do you focus on. some say that you shouldn't focus on anything (the counter-argument being that this might be impossible). if you try this approach, the flow-chart of your behavior should be like this: assuming you start to think about something or become distracted, don't think of it as "that's it, i've failed," but view it as it as "ok, i'm trying to clear my head of thoughts, this one thought just entered my mind, and it's just like any other thoughts that might come to my mind, i'm going to treat all such thoughts the same as they come and go - i won't attach my attention to any specific one of them." obviously you can't force yourself to not think. but you can train yourself to just let thoughts come and go without committing your focus to any of them.

the alternate to not focusing on anything is to focus on something. an easy one is breath. breath-counting is not necessary but if you have a system for counting, go for it. some people meditate with eyes open and focus on an object or candle flame. some people focus on single-syllable "mantras" ("om" being the most famous - this is the chest voice).

the muscle tension exercise mentioned in the above post can be helpful. maybe stretch a bit beforehand so you don't cramp as you tense up.

aside from all that stuff, what's left is to just clear your mind, relax your body, maintain posture, and allow your circulation and breath to get in a good flow. 10 minutes really should do it. more intense people go for longer.

as far as what you were saying about an "ultimate goal" of all this... some people have higher spiritual or mystical aspirations when meditating, and i don't criticize them for it. but i don't think it's out of the question to only be concerned with what this does for your cognition, relaxation, circulatory system, focus, awakeness, and other day-to-day/non-spiritual matters.
http://www.soundclick.com/hanabimusic (band)
http://www.myspace.com/iambls (i make beats for that dude)

Meditation and-or Prayer

Meditation.

Prayer is just meditation with magic attached.

If anyone is in interested in mediation - minus the mumbo-jumbo - look at Sam Harris' discussions on the matter. His views on mediative practice are more interesting than his progressive stance on religious faith.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sam-harris/a-contemplative-science_b_15024.html

Someone here recommended this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-Plain-English-Updated-Expanded/dp/0861713214/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212098987&sr=1-1

Very good.
Last edited by Gramsci_Archive on Thu May 29, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reality

Popular Mechanics Report of 9-11

NIST Investigation of the World Trade Center Disaster

Meditation and-or Prayer

Rick Reuben wrote:
Gramsci wrote:Meditation.

Prayer is just meditation with magic attached.

If anyone is in interested in mediation - minus the mumbo-jumbo - look at Sam Harris' discussions on the matter. His views on mediative practice are more interesting than his progressive stance on religious faith.

You've still got it, man. Being an ass that is. Prayer is not 'meditation with magic attached'. For prayer to be 'meditation with magic attached', prayer would need to produce magical events. Prayer is a request for guidance or assistance, and an affirmation of a belief system. Bigoted haters of questions they can't answer ( and since Gramsci can neither disprove God nor prove the origins of his species, that leaves a wide, wide hole in Gramsci's understanding of his universe ) often resort to slander of those who are more accepting of the limits of their own understanding.

Gramsci refuses to accept the fact that the only correct answer to the question, "Is there a God?" is "I don't know". He insists that the answer must be 'No'. His inability to provide an alternate explanation for the appearance of matter and energy in our universe does not dissuade him. Rather than accept reality- that the question remains open- he lashes out at those who refuse to join him down his misguided path of socially-acceptable prejudice known as 'atheism'. His own personal denial of God must become a campaign to insult those who will not join him.

does Gramsci see god?
probably not.
see, boy, he has is reasons for answering "NO" to the question "is there a god out there"?

Rick, couldn't you just go get laid like anyone else?

Meditation and-or Prayer

Rick Reuben wrote:It is permissible for bigoted atheists like Gramsci to argue that belief in God makes one intellectually inferior, but if he made the same charge against a minority group, he'd be exposed as a racist.

People don't choose race, they do choose whether or not to dumb themselves down with religious dogma and other such nonsensel, however. This is where your analogy becomes fallacy.

Must be all that fluoride getting to the brain, huh?
Rick Reuben wrote:I was reading the Electrical Forum in my parents' basement when ...