How much should ethics factor into what you do for a living?

I know this is a loaded question, and that some here will obviously say that they are paramount, but I'd still like to ask. I'm curious about the discussion more so than my situation. You know, some ideas to think about.

I get a call today about a job from a guy who discovered my resume somewhere. He tells me that they're looking for someone with very particular experience and that he thought I really fit the position. Basically, they want a person with experience setting up, then doing audio surveillance/translation. The job is for a company that's been contracted for the position by the government to support various agencies. The job would be to set up operations and then periodically visiting the sites to make sure everything was working correctly and that they were in compliance with federal law. Basically Project Manager/Quality Assurance. The job would involve traveling around the country 1-3 days a week, and I really like that. He says there about 45 days out from hiring for the position, so it's not certain by any means, but I think it's something I should think about.

I have no problem with that I don't think. It's been awhile since I was in that position, so I don't know the specifics of current laws, and what's changed with the Patriot Act. The thing that did bug me was that he mentioned the DEA in passing a couple of times. I've had to work for them in the past, and I've made the decision not to work for them again. I don't apply to their job listings. I got the feeling that they weren't the only agency that it would support. I'm not sure how I feel about it. My work experience favors this "industry." Should I take a job that might partially support something that I'm opposed to in theory. I'm not out picketing the DEA, but I generally don't agree with the work that they do.

For the record, I've been unemployed since January and am not in the best position to be picky. The most recent plan is to get a less than ideal job and keep waiting for a gov. agency to pick me up so I can finish my 20 years.
I've seen the bridges burning in the night.

Pasta wrote:Ethics are important, but, so is survival. I'll post more later, but survival is paramount.

A friend just got a job at Nike doing engineering, his wife hates it, he was unsure ethically, but he has a 3 year old to feed and clothe, and had been out of work since January.

What good are your ethics if you're starving to death? Try to strike a compromise.

Yup, that's the thread over already. Can't beat this.

Let's hit the showers.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm.

The sites are in Miami, DC, Hotlanta, and New Orleans. It was good money, but I told him that I wouldn't relocate for it. He said, for the right, person they could work it out. That's essentially where the flying a few days a week thing comes from.

The thing is that, to me, I wouldn't work for the DEA. I can't help that this might support it somewhat. And I'm at the point where I should be making a good wage and doing something of note. I just turned 30. I'm supposed to own something and be married by now, not living like I'm 18, which is exactly what I'm doing.
I've seen the bridges burning in the night.

I work in a field in which ethics is survival. I can be successfully sued for infliction of emotional distress and the plaintiff doesn't even have to prove intent. So behaving ethically and documenting it is my best defense should someone decide that something I said, didn't say, did, or didn't do caused them distress. People in my industry who have demonstrated a committment to that way of behaving on the job are compensated accordingly.

Edited to add:
Although, come to think of it, I'm sure there are funeral homes in which the ability to profitably cover your tracks, ethically speaking, is also a valued commodity.

The Code is Almighty wrote:I just turned 30. I'm supposed to own something and be married by now, not living like I'm 18, which is exactly what I'm doing.

I despise this mentality.

Where does it say you have to do this?

Just because a large portion of society happen to live in this pradigm/mindset/whatever fucking buzzword you want to assign to it, doesn't mean you are wrong for NOT living in it.

Signed,

Unmarried, 36 year-old renter with an "artsy" job where people mistake her for being 18.
I make music/I also make pretty pictures