Drum hardware recommendations?

Rule #1: boom stands are a waste of money.I highly recommend the Gibraltar flat base stands- they're light enough that they're not a complete drag when you're packing up and carrying shit out after a gig, but sturdy enough to stand up to the fat bastard pictured to the right here----->.hi-hat, $90 ain't bad...Cymbal stand, Fitty dollas...Get a throne with a naugahyde or vinyl top- yeah, any drum throne will get wet and kind of nasty, but on hot nights in Beaumont, you don't want some cloth-topped thing with water soaking down into it. The next gig at soundcheck, you're going to be sitting on a cold, damp, musty smelling tuffet, and that's some bullshit.Fuck a hydraulic throne. They bounce in a most unseemly and unfortunate way. They also have a tendency to suddenly (and for no reason), let you down to the lowest setting with a great THUD. Always a treat in the middle of a gig.Get one with a threaded rod for height adjustment, like this one.the fastest and most powerful bass drum pedal on the market (that I am aware of) is the Tama Iron Cobra (\m/).But, Bonham used a Ludwig Speed King. Also, DW7000 pedals are very nice.Good luck.
Redline wrote:Not Crap. The sound of death? The sound of FUN! ScrrreeEEEEEEE

Ringo-I don't see your point at all - unless your kick has the appropriate bracket, how are you supposed to put the ride where your 2nd rack-tom would go without a boom?I'm a happy boom-stand user.I'm interested in your answer though.*edit*My advice would be Yamaha. Yamaha would actually be my answer for 75% of 'what should I buy' questions, other than snares.
I walk these streets, a loaded six-string on my back.

danielruder wrote:Adam I wrote:My advice would be Yamaha. Yamaha would actually be my answer for 75% of 'what should I buy' questions, other than snares.Adam I, I'll pose the same question to you: could you elaborate on this? I've recording a bunch of Yamaha kits, but mostly for jazz, world, and other non-rock-related genres. They generally sound fantastic in those contexts. How do you use them?I'm not qualified to recommend drums since I'm not a drummer, but hardware-wise, Yamaha seems excellent both in the physical sense and reputation. This has been my experience with all Yamaha stuff I've encountered (non-drum).

dontfeartheringo wrote:Adam-my opinions on this are largely shaped by the fact that I am a very heavy hitter and having a ride cymbal way out there hanging over the kick usually, in my case, results in the stand giving up the ghost and rolling over, dumping the cymbal on top of the bass drum.Your mileage may vary, of course. Also, my ride cymbals are 22 and 24, depending on which one I am using for a gig. They don't need to be much closer than they are since they're both so large.But I use a hugely heavy, vintage ride and am, essentially, a fucking gorilla, yet even with my old, knackered, 70s boom stand I did not once cause a fall/collapse.If using a 4 piece kit, where would you put the ride? I'm genuinely confusicated.

Thanks Ringo. I've always played on a kit (a friend's) that has a boom for the ride cymbal When I think about it, it's pretty unnecessary - a straight stand would likely be perfectly fine.That said, I'm building a drum kit. Rather, I've been slowly assembling a kit for nearly two years from shells I refinished. I'm a little overwhelmed by all of the choices for every component of the kit, and I really appreciate your insight. The fact that you speak with experience and confidence about all of the minutiae of kits is really helpful.I tend to sweat the details, and I don't want to spend too much money on things like stands and hardware, which seems to be really easy to do.