Anybody into that Mandarin record?

I must admit that to my jaded ears there seem to be roughly 1000 hundred-bazillion utterly shit 'post-rock'/'sub-slint'/'quite-good-guitarists with quiet-voices-who-sound-unlikely-to-enjoy-fisticuffs' bands to every one brilliant one.

But (unless I am completely wrong, which I may well be) I reckon the Mandarin record is completely ace.

There.

SpankMarvin wrote:It's a great record. They're also very cool interesting people. I had the pleasure of seeing them live in Denton a couple of summers ago.

The record took a LONG time to get released - great it's finally out!

The record sounds like it was made by interesting people; It's clever.

So few clever records around.

from their label 54/40 or fight!-s website:
Mandarin is at home in Denton, taking time off from shows to finish their
follow-up to the lauded Fast>Future>Present. Did you read the pundits'
plaudits in The Wire, Mojo, Uncut, London Metro Times, Signal to Noise,
Skyscraper, etc.? Well we did. They were enough to make a mule blush.
Expect a new album from Mandarin in early-2006.

I have meaning to check these guys out.

buzzsaw wrote:from their label 54/40 or fight!-s website:
Mandarin is at home in Denton, taking time off from shows to finish their
follow-up to the lauded Fast>Future>Present. Did you read the pundits'
plaudits in The Wire, Mojo, Uncut, London Metro Times, Signal to Noise,
Skyscraper, etc.? Well we did. They were enough to make a mule blush.
Expect a new album from Mandarin in early-2006.

I have meaning to check these guys out.

You should do that. Their record is fucking ace.

yeah they boke up. I've saw them a few times and they were always great. I still haven't gotten around to getting the official release of the fast future present album but I keep meaning to. Before they actually signed to Bella or 54 40 I got one of the early cdr versions at a 2003 halloween show here in Dallas and it was one of my most most played cds for a couple of years.

You'd really be doing yourself a favor if you tracked down their first album as well, if you haven't already. Its called Driftline.

peterbuldge wrote:yeah they boke up. I've saw them a few times and they were always great. I still haven't gotten around to getting the official release of the fast future present album but I keep meaning to. Before they actually signed to Bella or 54 40 I got one of the early cdr versions at a 2003 halloween show here in Dallas and it was one of my most most played cds for a couple of years.

You'd really be doing yourself a favor if you tracked down their first album as well, if you haven't already. Its called Driftline.

I will, thankee!

Their 54 40 record is my favourite rock album of the last few years; damn them in the face for splitting up.